Found 3 Really Nice Ones Today

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went and hit one of my favorite spots along the banks of the Ohio River today and did really well. I found the little Dart Point about 20 minutes after I got there. It was laying out completely exposed about a foot from the waters edge. The Dovetail(at least I think it's a Dove) was just peaking out of the sand base first. I actually got down on my knees and said a little prayer before pulling it out and then I let out a loud whoop when I saw it was whole. It has a nicely ground base so I figure it's a Dove. Any other suggestions are welcomed. My last find was the black Kirk. It had the entire blade showing and when I brushed the sand back I saw the notches and knew it was whole. I also found two Knifes and a little Scraper. Most everything I find on this beach is very highly polished from the wave action and these are no different. The Kirk is smooth as glass and the Dove is polished a little as well. Both Knives are very highly polished.

Attachments

• New Pics001.jpg
    New Pics001.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 635
  • New Pics004.jpg
    New Pics004.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 636
  • New Pics005.jpg
    New Pics005.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 624
  • New Pics003.jpg
    New Pics003.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 614
  • New Pics006.jpg
    New Pics006.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
That is some WILD stuff !

Especially the flag on the black point :laughing7:

If the degree of polishing is any indication of how long it's been in the water, the Carmel-colored one (Paoli chert) (?) must have been made back when there were dinosaurs ! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Neat items !!!

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what a fricken day that would be, I would not make it home. Then I would wake up and call off work, lol. beautiful finds man

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Man you had one heck of a day Dorkfish!!!! They are beautiful. Take care. :thumbsup: JYD...

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Nice finds Steve, quality points for sure. The black piece sort of looks like a pinetree?

I thought that too when I first saw it, but I really think it's a Kirk instead. The tangs aren't pronounced enough for a Pine Tree in my opinion. They are both from basically the same time period so there's not much difference in the two types.

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
uniface said:
That is some WILD stuff !

Especially the flag on the black point :laughing7:

If the degree of polishing is any indication of how long it's been in the water, the Carmel-colored one (Paoli chert) (?) must have been made back when there were dinosaurs ! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Neat items !!!

The "flag" :icon_profileleft: in the black point looks like the cross section of a fossil crinoid stem...and given its location and the fossil, that chert is older than dinosaurs! Very cool two for one!

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Sorry for not catching it sooner. I'm not going to tolerate that kind of slander from anyone. Better be nice.. Steve you had a great day a killer hunt... John

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
Sorry for not catching it sooner. I'm not going to tolerate that kind of slander from anyone. Better be nice.. Steve you had a great day a killer hunt... John

Very Nice Finds Steve !!!!

And What John said !

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flintfinder of Mo. said:

Thanks John, I appreciate that. Also, sorry if I got a little out of line, but that just took me off guard a little bit this morning and I may have responded a bit harshly. I just can't figure out where that is coming from with him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread