🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Found a bag of sterling silver spoons at an estate sale! Anyone know what the hallmark means? I think British? It also says sterling on them

DarthYoda333

Jul 14, 2023
33D1E786-4244-43D3-A6CC-94986CE07882.jpeg

Bernitup

Dec 8, 2016
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To my eye it looks familiar, but the two manufacturers I was thinking they may be are indeed definitely not it… I just looked them up again. Unfortunately the more I sit here and look at it, the less I can tell what it is!😵‍💫 Then I began to think it was a date letter/code…..heck…my eyes are definitely not what they used to be even a couple years ago.

Are there any other markings on the spoon, besides the “R” and “sterling” running down the handle? Do you have a picture of the pattern on the obverse side, that may help to identify the maker or at least narrow it down? I wish I could be more help right now, I love silver and have been at It in one way or another for the last 30+ years, especially spoons and trinkets of varying degrees….really enjoy the little stuff!

Good luck with the ID, the folks on this site really are quite knowledgeable and someone always seems to pull through!

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not British. Our hallmarks have a very specific legislated format and look nothing like that. Also, British silver almost never has the word 'sterling' on it because the hallmarks are the guarantee for the sterling standard.

I would assume that's a manufacturer's trademark and the 'R' denotes it to be a registered trademark. The lettering style looks very modern. I would think these are American pieces. Could we please see one showing the pattern style?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
D

DarthYoda333

Jul 14, 2023
Definitely not British. Our hallmarks have a very specific legislated format and look nothing like that. Also, British silver almost never has the word 'sterling' on it because the hallmarks are the guarantee for the sterling standard.

I would assume that's a manufacturer's trademark and the 'R' denotes it to be a registered trademark. The lettering style looks very modern. I would think these are American pieces. Could we please see one showing the pattern style?
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is the style it’s a diamond shaped on both ends

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pictures of the spoon. That looks pretty modern to me, and i'm not usually much use on modern silver. I would check for trademark registrations if i did but know how to describe the mark. I've enhanced it below in case it helps someone recognise it, but It's problematical whichever orientation it's supposed to have:

Mark.jpg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions