Found a beautiful SOLID SILVER Revolutionary War spur today..........

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
silver plated brass spur (circa 1775) which has the figure 8 loops with one set of link belts still attached for attachment to the leather straps passing around the boots instep. I hunted hard and unfortunately could not find the other set of link belts. I've seen a few of these spurs before but never have I seen one with the actual link belts still attached. This was found close to where we won our independence from England. I couldn't be happier to have found this!!! UPDATE: Upon closer inspection (and thanks to a few sharp posters) this spur is SOLID SILVER!!!! The belt links are brass which is why I originally thought this was silver plated. I can't believe this!!!!! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• P1230122.JPG
    P1230122.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,669
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible discovery :icon_thumleft: :dontknow: how did you get the circa 1775 ? Gen. George Washington had silver spurs , but I am having a tough time finding pictures of them for a comparison to your spur . His spurs are still at Mt. Vernon Gallery. Focusing on the more public persona of George Washington, this gallery features artifacts relating to his military career and presidency. Washington’s sword, silver camp cups, and a pair of silver spurs he gave to a soldier at Valley Forge so that he could ride to Boston for much-needed supplies are displayed in addition to a variety of objects pertaining to Washington's inauguration. Big Congrats

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Incredible discovery :icon_thumleft: :dontknow: how did you get the circa 1775 ? Gen. George Washington had silver spurs , but I am having a tough time finding pictures of them for a comparison to your spur . His spurs are still at Mt. Vernon . Big Congrats
[/quote0] Thanks for that information...I never knew George Washington had solid silver spurs or they were displayed at Mt. Vernon. As for the date, it was just a guess. The earliest coins I have found at this site are 1773 halfpennies (2). This site has yielded 7 French Regimental buttons and it is documented the French Army under Rochambeau was in my area in 1781 and stayed for several months after our victory at Yorktown. This style of spur, from what I've now been told, with the figure 8 loops, could date from the mid 1600's through the time of the American Revolution. Jamestown was settled in 1607 which is not to far from the area this was discovered. Devonrex

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!!! From looking at the pics I would have guessed the spur was tinned brass, Do you think its an English link belted silver spur? Are there any hallmarks? Once again great find!!!!!!!! :headbang:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That is a awesome spur man.

Hope it all pans out. Looks pretty old to me. Has the look of silver also. I would love to come across a rev site here in pa. Maybe one day. Va is a great state to hunt in.

HH Jer

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bell

Jan 13, 2011
I agree with Crusader. But just to chime in on the plating discussion I believe various cultures have had different forms of plating for thousands of years.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't feel so bad if its not silver. It's still a great find. I got fooled by a pewter spoon handle last year that had been converted to a sewing bodkin. It dated to the 18th century as well.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats something you dont see every day!....WTG... :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this earlier. Knew it wasn't silver but waited for someone else to chime in before I did. Appears to be pewter, or copper/tin alloy. The dirt sticking to it, along with color and small pitting along some of the edges gives it away. Coin silver comes from the ground, basically how it went in. Ferous metals will tend to let the dirt and minerals in the soil, stick to them, and are harder to clean. It's a real nice relic, but NOT silver. Congrats....................Hogge :headbang:

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well it appears I did get fooled...... Crusader and the others were correct. I didn't realize they made early spurs out of this metal. I have always been amazed at how tombac buttons come out of the ground - now I know why my spur looks this way. I should correct the heading - silver spur NOT ;D but still an early find. I'm still elated with finding it, but have to admit I was dreaming last night I had found George Washington's spare spur...lol Devonrex

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!
Congrats!!

Joe

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Devonrex said:
well it appears I did get fooled...... Crusader and the others were correct. I didn't realize they made early spurs out of this metal. I have always been amazed at how tombac buttons come out of the ground - now I know why my spur looks this way. I should correct the heading - silver spur NOT ;D but still an early find. I'm still elated with finding it, but have to admit I was dreaming last night I had found George Washington's spare spur...lol Devonrex

As I said, it could be even earlier than Rev War, but needs a Spur Expert to be sure. What is great about it, is its near complete & has the 'gromets' (for want of a better word) that held the buckle. In my ploughed fields, all I get is pieces of this type of buckle & none as good as this. So you have plenty to be pleased with :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions