Found a blue thingy, Paid $3 for it because it was blue and was really heavy.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this at a Garage Sale this weekend. The owners had no idea what it was. They had No idea what it was used for. They had no idea how they got it. It has a part number on it. I contacted the company and found out it was a Vacuum release valve used for water mains or water treatment pipes.

Similar release valves (without the housing on top) are for sale on Ebay for $500+. My big question is, What the heck do I do with it now. I can't see much of a market for this (the government does not buy second hand). I can get more than $3 for 60 pounds of Cast Iron and 5 pounds of Bronze (on the inside), but that seems a shame. My wife kind of likes it as a lawn decoration...

Ideas?

photo3.JPG
photo.JPG

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I contacted Val Matic, and they sent me some spec sheets on the 1804 base model (without the housing on top). They told me that it was primarily for water mains and waste water pipes. I just wish I knew what to do with it...

Can I display PDF's here as images? If so, I will post the work sheets they sent me about the 1804.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I display PDF's here as images? If so, I will post the work sheets they sent me about the 1804.

you can try, :dontknow:

anyway looks like your wife has a new lawn decoration

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remove the innards, turn it into a light. Mount it on a post outside.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would throw it on ebay , what do you have to lose
The thing retails for almost a grand on amazon. Maybe someone who resells to towns or munis will buy it up.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
The government may not buy second hand items, but contractors do.

Around here, the water company is privately owned, and what very little is maintained by the city, is just basic and small repair. I'd say that 98% of all the water main work is completed by private contractors.

The private contractors are just as happy to save money too, and someone will buy that item, eventually.

Your crazy not to list that on ebay using 30 day listings. Even if it takes a year to sell, the listing fees will only be $2.40 if you have a store.

The trick is just being patient, and look at the item as money waiting in the bank.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might give Craig's List a try. As Clovis said, a contractor could probably use it.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I had not even though to look on Amazon. I sell a ton of stuff on Amazon, I can list it for half the price of anyone else and STILL make a killing. Thanks all. I guess this will be sitting at the bottom of my Ebay closet for a while.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I guess this will be sitting at the bottom of my Ebay closet for a while.

Sometimes these things surprise you.

I had a heavy duty grinder that I thought would sell within a week, and it took almost 5 months to sell it. On the other hand, I had some obscure plumbing parts that I thought would take 2 years to sell, and those sold within a month's time.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I had better figure out shipping too. My shipper may not be able to handle it. It will tear through any box. Could just slap a UPS label on it and send it on it's way...

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How heavy is it? You could just duct tape the box up real good.

Duct tape can solve many of life's little problems.

If its real heavy just pack it in a milk crate or something like that to add structural integrity .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions