Found a "cache" today..... more questions than answers.

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother and I went to the mountains today to do some MDing. Found plenty of the usual stuff, pennies, dimes etc...

But more importantly my brother found a cache...a treasure cache I hope.
Here is the story....

We were roaming around looking for good finds.
My brother comes upon a rock and scans over it. PING!
He calls me over and he's in the middle of working on the dig.

Get this ....

We find a large rusted coffee can filled with dirt on top of a plastic plate.
The can had about 6 inches of soil over the top of it.
On top of the can is a large flat rock about 4 inches thick and about 18 inches in diameter there about.
Surrounding the big flat rock were other rocks.
Each of the big rocks weighed about 15 lbs each with a total of 3 surrounding and one on top.

We finally pull the can out and the plate beneath it was all broken. It looked like the weight of everything on top of it shattered the plate. While the plate was plastic and about 1/4 thick, it had looked very brittle. Additionally, the plate had broke in the middle cantilevering it backwards.

After pulling the can, pulling the pieces of plate; we dug down a bit and pushed the pro pointer into the soil. Nothing.
However the soil was very soft and easy to push your hand through.

Why would someone go through all the trouble of digging a hole, putting a plate at the bottom, putting a coffee can filled with dirt, covering it back up and putting rocks on top? Way out in the middle of the mountains even?

We don't know what to make of the whole thing.
It was getting dark so we had to head back home.

Didn't have a camera, so no pictures.

Next week we are going back to investigate further...this time with a camera.

My brother got the treasure hunting bug really bad now. :laughing7:

Upvote 2

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go back you might wear gloves, if you don't already, not saying it is this but it could be someone had been camping and that was there #2 hole and they used the plate to cover it up while they were camping then they covered it up when they left. Hopefully its not and you become filthy rich.

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh nooooo!

The can is rusted through. Tree and bush roots go through the can as well.
It was there for a very long, long time.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Love a mystery! I agree, you have nothing to lose by panning out that dirt, gold is good, hee-he. Also, consider that there may be paper money farther under there which wouldn't set your detector to beeping. What I wonder is why those big rocks were set around there? Have fun, take care, & let us know what you find there or nearby! Andi

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Great mystery EmptyPockets - keep us in the loop!

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With a plastic plate and tin can, I don't think it was an old site. Could have been where someone had a camp site, and you found where the fire pit was. :dontknow:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
somebody's favorite spot .. They were returned there after their death in the form of ashes.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone could have buried a pet or something, but you'd think there'd be bones or something. Interesting mystery! Hope you find something good!

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe placing the plate at the bottom thinking it would keep the can from sinking farther down over time. Then pacing rocks on top to protect the can from animals digging it up. Just an idea.

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm, it is interesting .. And not to be a downer, but a coffee can and plastic plate don't quite sound like something that one would use to bury treasure in the ground , in the middle of the wilderness . The rocks and such do make it curious.
Did you totally empty the contents of the can and thoroughly go through it? I also suggest wearing gloves. The rock placement ... Sounds kinda like what I do when burying a pet... So that another animal can not dig them up. How far down under that plate did you go? The ground could be dug with your hands so it it must have been disturbed dirt further below the plate. Maybe somebody buried their dog at a favorite camp spot? Any other stuff found nearby that could make you tbink it was a camp spot ? Foil, tabs, ect.

Edit... Digs beat me to it.. Lol

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like all the ideas here.
But one thing that befuddles me is those darn rocks.

Even if it was a loo, why the rocks? Why not just bury it?

Anyway, next weekend we are going back up.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rocks are something to sit on while you are busy with business .

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go back you might wear gloves, if you don't already, not saying it is this but it could be someone had been camping and that was there #2 hole and they used the plate to cover it up while they were camping then they covered it up when they left. Hopefully its not and you become filthy rich.

yea, kinda sounds like a dookie hole

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pet cremation theory looks good here , except for the plate ? keep us posted for sure -
Well on second thought , if your taking scruffy or muffy's cremains up into the beautiful mountains - don't you just scatter the
ashes into that meadow or forest , or stream ? why would you put them in the cold, cold ground in a can ?????????????

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a metal rod and probe the soft dirt, see if it goes down a few feet. It also could be a reference to a real cache. Would check the immediate area out wit that detector also. Good Luck.

OP
OP
EmptyPockets

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went out to the site this weekend.

Guess what?

Nothing.

We are going out again soon and will be looking more closely in the area.

Thanks for looking.

-Joanne

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you had found a vast fortune but you still were out enjoying the outdoors one the best rewards our hobby gives to us all.

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May been some one buried alive and the plat and can was some how used as a breathing hole. My be a hand or something come out of their and grab you when you dig a little deeper? Lol

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread