fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out with Okie Hillbilly today, he stopped at a old cemetery & school foundation, while I was poking around I saw a metal box under some rocks, it was an ammo can full of what I thought were kids toys & pens.
It turned out to be a Geo-cache, where you find it by using GPS, it had a note telling us to take something & leave something with our names & the date found.
We each took a hat pin, & left a Gold dollar. (sacajuwea), several people had found it allready, leaving behind 'gaudy beads', my pretty pony, hat pins, ink pens , toy truck,etc.
No pics, camera is down, they sure found a 'remote spot' to hide it, it was a fun day.
Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjw4law said:

That's what we thought, but I guess they have fun with it.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
my husband found one inside a robot made from old tractor weights one time...they are pretty cool...we left an arrowhead and some coins...the next person got blessed...It contained toy cars..little kid things...still very neat indeed. I've often thought it would make a good game on here.

I had heard of these 'caches', one whole school group had found it leaving behind mostly toys, we mentioned Treasure -Net, & gave our net names on the note.

Fossis................

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot of that here in Ohio Geo-Cache you use a GPS to help you find the hidden boxes....Matt

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mlayers said:
There is a lot of that here in Ohio Geo-Cache you use a GPS to help you find the hidden boxes....Matt

We were very surprised, I had heard of this, but never thought about finding one without a GPS. :laughing7:

Fossis...........

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have heard of but have yet to find one. To each there own. If they knew what was out there with a little research...shhhhh never mind .
TnMtns :read2:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
me and a buddy of mine went on a geo cache last year we were told to take a md with us as it might be covered from a heavy rain earlier that month and that there would be a no tresspaa sign but the owner gave him permission to set one there with the instructions of dont mess with house gates or out building .we found the geo cache under 2 inches of dirt uncovered it done what we were supposed to do i found a #3 crotal sliegh bell 6 inches away 3 inches down covered up the hole and the owners straw boss came up and played 20 ?s with us .he said stay here boss wants to talk to you well we did and he showed up with the doiniphan county kansas sheriff. he said i never gave anyone no such permission and we better be glad he didnt have any hunters on the 250 acre hunting ranch. needless to say we got tickets and court date out of the deal went to court and got a ticket for criminal tresspass $385.00 .ks version of criminal tresspass being on said persons property and refusing to leaveafter being told to leave. hell i was told to stay and wait i didnt refuse to leave needless to say we got bad info on a geo cache. from now on i make sure there is permission granted before i go anywhere to geo cache . by the way if there would have been a hunter on sight additional prices of 6 thousand for ruined hunt and several hundred dollars for airline ticket and hotel bill for the hunter to return and point the finger at me and my buddy .man what a messed up black friday note self stay home on black friday and dont look at md untill the next day!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
We stumbled across a geo-cache a few years ago, just hiking. Buckshot knew what it was, so we played along. The next time I took my Mom and sister along and put a wood carving in the tub. The next time the tub wasn't there, but I thought it was a fun thing to do. It was neat to look at all the things left behind, just trinkets, a few coins. It's good when strangers can play nice.

naturegirl

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie Hillbilly...yeah we did.
TNmountains...... I'me with you, old 'Treasures' are more fun to look for.
Olepossum....... Sorry about your luck, the lady that owns this land punctured a guys tires while he was gone
to get a spare tire, (had a flat), so we didn't 'tarry' long. :-[
Naturegirl........ I guess there are 'hobbies' for everyone.

Fossis.................

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Mona Lisa and I went geocacheing in NY and PA and will also do some in MT... It's a GREAT way to get out, hike, bike, and visit places you've never been to and would never go to except that you're chasing the caches. It's a great way to get kids out or spend time with others having an adventure.

It might be a bigger hobby than medal detecting... there are 942,529 active geocaches around the world.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread