Found a Cache with pics

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody!! I got out for a few hours and wasn't having too much luck. Went to a local community center that used to be a school. It was built in 1922. I have found silver there in the past and also a 1933 Italian 10 cent piece. I stayed there for about and hour and a half having only found a few clad coins. I went aroud to the right side of the building and was detecting a gravel driveway and got a good coin signal. I dug out a plug and there were 6 pennies stair-stacked together. I thought well someone must have dumped there pocket here. So I rechecked the area and got another good signal. It was another penny. Evereytime I rechecked after digging I would find more and more coins, all pennies. These were not in one hole but were in virtually a straight line about 3 feet long. All were about 3-4 inches down. I don't know for sure but I think they were all lost or buried together and then spread out somehow. The oldest is a 1968D and the newest was a 1984. There were a total of 27 pennies in this "cache". I know this is only pennies but it makes me wander who put them there and why and as much of a thrill as it was recovering this "cache" I can only imagine what finding a real one with valuable coins would be like. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• 100_0161.jpg
    100_0161.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 100_0163.jpg
    100_0163.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 100_0167.jpg
    100_0167.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,185
Upvote 0

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go :thumbsup: I know the filling on a cache but mine where tokens about 20 of them. At least you had fun HH

S

seger98

Nice finds, looks like a great area to detect. Who knows how things get to be the way they get! :dontknow:

Chris

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cache or big pocket spill. I think of a cache as hidden money in a jar or something.

SKD

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I know what you were going through. When I first got my MD I went out in my back yard and found 342 Lincoln cents in a 3' by 5' area. I was so excited. I went in to share my "treasure find" with my wife and she just scoffed and said now you only need to find 85,000 more to pay for that dang thing! >:(

HH,
Fisher

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain Loosechange said:
Evereytime I rechecked after digging I would find more and more coins, all pennies. These were not in one hole but were in virtually a straight line about 3 feet long. All were about 3-4 inches down. I don't know for sure but I think they were all lost or buried together and then spread out somehow. [/quot
Captain Loosechange said:
You have lived a recurring dream of mine, since I was a kid, a couple or more years ago ;D
Mike

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That same scenario would be awesome with barbers wouldn't it?...

Hiker

Nov 30, 2008
Newnan, GA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good for you. I went hunting this weekend but only found a cache of trash. No matter, it was a 65 deg day and was great just being outside.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Back in the past, it was common practice in the 30's and 40's when building a new building people would place a penny in or near the foundation for good luck......seeing how this is a community center, several people probably pulled a penny from their pocket and pitched them in the hole for good luck before building the community center either before or after the ground breaking ceremonies. I think thats why you found them where you did in the manner they were found...
thats just my 2 cents....worth.

on the other hand congrats on the find .... good luck and HH

db

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Darn gumball machines don't take 'em anymore.

Good patience!

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vwayne1 said:
WOW! thats an awfully big digger for a lawn. Good job on the spill recovery.
Yeah I use a smaller one on the grassy areas of this place but theses coins were in a gravel driveway and called for the big guns ha/ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions