• IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 273

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting find! I don't recall seeing one with the denomination stencil-cut somewhere other than in the center. It looks like a product of one of the Cincinnati makers. Finding out who L. D. was will be a trick. I see Louis Dornseif is the only saloon-keeper in the 1880-81 Cincinnati Business Directory with those initials. His saloon was on the southwest corner of Liberty and Bremen. Of course, the token may be from later than that time and/or from somewhere other than Cincinnati.
John in ID

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
idahotokens said:
Interesting find! I don't recall seeing one with the denomination stencil-cut somewhere other than in the center. It looks like a product of one of the Cincinnati makers. Finding out who L. D. was will be a trick. I see Louis Dornseif is the only saloon-keeper in the 1880-81 Cincinnati Business Directory with those initials. His saloon was on the southwest corner of Liberty and Bremen. Of course, the token may be from later than that time and/or from somewhere other than Cincinnati.
John in ID

Thanks for your research. I do believe you are correct. This token was found nearby his saloon, in fact probably a mile. Liberty and Bremen is smack in the middle of Over The Rhine (little Germany where people spoke bravarian up untill the 30's) Interestingly enough I found a 1877 Seated dime about 2 feet from the token. I wonder if it was a pocket spill from the same person? Thanks again, way too cool!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm... Well, digging a token in a certain location does not prove where it came from, but it certainly helps an otherwise hopeless possibility. I'll send a pic to a couple of OH collectors who may be able to say whether it is from the 1880 timeframe. I assume the reverse is blank?
John in ID

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
idahotokens said:
Hmmm... Well, digging a token in a certain location does not prove where it came from, but it certainly helps an otherwise hopeless possibility. I'll send a pic to a couple of OH collectors who may be able to say whether it is from the 1880 timeframe. I assume the reverse is blank?
John in ID

Thanks, and I understand your imput. I stillwould put my bets on your first guess though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread