Found a Couple Silvers in the Backyard

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey guys,

Man, I've been following your posts all week and been so jealous. I was holed up in San Antonio for work this week and finally got back to Seattle late last night. I had some spare time this afternoon and decided to keep detecting my backyard. I just moved into this house a couple weeks ago so I've probably only covered about half the yard after today. As a cherry on top, I was chatting with my neighbor and he said I'm welcome to detect his as well!

Well, I redid some of the area I did previously and decided I would just start digging iffy signals to see what I've already passed over. Mostly, it ended up being trash, but there was definitely some treasure in the mix. Totals for the day are:

-1 925 Silver Ring
-1 Mercury Dime (1941-s)
-1 Wheat Penny (1930-s)
-5 Memorial Pennies

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

FullSizeRender (9).jpg

FullSizeRender (10).jpg

As you can see there were some other odds and ends that popped up as well. I think the knife is one of the more interesting thing. It's only silver plated but it was buried deep beneath some tree roots so I wouldn't be surprised if it's 80+ years old.

Also, the ring definitely has a 925 marking on the interior but it's really dark looking. It's got some heft to it too. I don't usually see them coming out of the ground so dark. Any thoughts on why that might be?

Thanks guys and happy hunting!

-Washingtonian

Upvote 14

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tarnish, some silver and or silver plate can tarnish, depending on the ground I suppose. Try a baking soda water mix, about the feel of toothpaste, let it sit in it for a while, then rub it with your fingers and then a running water rinse, may come out looking just dandy. Always a good moment when seeing something marked .925 come out of the ground. Nice yard.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so many variables in soil, chemicals from many sources, acidity etc so some places are just terrible on some coins and jewelry. but you still squeaked out some sweet finds

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find dark silver all of the time. Oxidation is very common, especially if you are near salt water.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always nice to find keepers from your own turf. Congrats on the silver and may there be more to come.:icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very nice old coins and relic finds! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread