Found a cut and found a couple old coins Update on Wheat Penny

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not near as good as everyone else seems to be doing but after working the wet sand (freshwater) and finding one zinc penny in about 2 miles of shore, I found a cut and came up with $.82 in about 50 yards and two of the oldest coins I've found to date. First good hit in the cut was a 43 quarter in surprisingly good shape, also picked up a 64 nickel and a 26 wheat penny (well, it may be a 24, can't make out the last digit yet.)

I worked that section of the cut over real good and was separating signals from iron nails that were everywhere in that cut. Wish it would have had some old jewelry.... might have to get back there after the next storm to see what else is waiting for someone to find....

Cliff
UPDATE:
Update on the wheat penny (1920).... I tried 3-4 different methods for cleaning this copper, knowing it was in pretty poor shape and not really worrying about the end result other than wanting to know the date. There was a small particle of sand seemingly imbedded right in the final digit of the date so I couldn't make it out, looked like a 4 or a 6 as best as I could tell.

I first tried baking soda between my fingers and that didn't work well. I then soaked it in vinegar and then in dish soap, again not enough, I then put it in my electrolysis rig and when done with the electrolysis, gave it a rub with baking soda and that finally did the trick. Here is a shot of the coin, still wet after the final scrubbing. My oldest coin with a legible date.

Attachments

• cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 598
  • cut silver quarter sm.jpg
    cut silver quarter sm.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 656
  • cut old coins.jpg
    cut old coins.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 587
  • cut 1920 wheat2.jpg
    cut 1920 wheat2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 713
Upvote 0

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a cut and found a couple old coins

CDV1, that 's a great cut to detect...wish I could find one like that

Beautiful silver quarter! :headbang:

Go back....I bet there's jewelry to be found ...and you'll find it! :icon_thumleft:

Lorraine

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:

That cut gave me goose bumps! I couldn't sleep after seeing that! I'd be out there all day and night! So get back out there.

capndan151

Apr 29, 2007
Costa Mesa CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

That's a great looking cut and a great find. Good job, I'm sure there's more there. Keep going!!!!!

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:

and a really nice strip of black sand at the base - other goodies there somewhere - I agree congrats and get back to it.

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice George you manage to pick up there! Seems as if it's pretty cold there... Yeah, I feel your pain. But hey I know either way it won't put a block to the treasure hunt! So yeah as Smoogle stated, you should hit up some of that beautiful sand there with a pan maybe and see if there might be any of that shiny stuff in there! :)

Sluice

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:

Smoogle said:
and a really nice strip of black sand at the base - other goodies there somewhere - I agree congrats and get back to it.
Yeah, that black sand was really thick in places and was a reddish/purple in color too. I actually had to re-ground balance when I was in that spot due to falsing with the CZ. The silver quarter came out of the black sand.
That might be a good training area when the SOV GT gets here. Curious to see how it handles the black sand.
Cliff

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins! I tried the hot peroxide treatment for my wheats. Did'nt know if you had heard of it. Good luck. That spot looks inviting to say the least!

surfhunter

Sep 25, 2011
FL NATIVE
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark+ Excal.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That picture should have snow and ice in it.... REALLY mild winter, kind of makes you wonder whats going on.

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
surfhunter said:
That picture should have snow and ice in it.... REALLY mild winter, kind of makes you wonder whats going on.

You are right, it should have snow and ice in the picture but I don't care what is going on right now as long as I can continue to hunt.. this time next year if all goes well, I'll be in Florida and retired to a life of being a beach bum. :icon_thumleft:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need a cut like that here on the treasure coast to start producing some cobs.
Great finds.
HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread