Found...A Design Flaw!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I keep a length of strong cordage in my detecting bag. One single bolt to hold the arm cuff on? There's a lot of torque here so you would think there would be something more substantial. Time to find a new shaft.

Also, my finds before the cuff broke...to stay in line with Today's Finds. Let's hope the post repair finds are better!

Attachments

• IMG_20160802_080821_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160802_080821_edit.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20160802_081141.jpg
    IMG_20160802_081141.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20160802_081457_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160802_081457_edit.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 13

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Nice finds! Just for the heck of it - you should send Garrett an e-mail (with picture) and ask if it is covered under warranty (regardless of how long you have had it) - wonder what they would say (and/or do)? This is their e-mail: [email protected] Who knows - they might send you a free replacement...let us know how it goes.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As 'vpnavy' mentioned (BTW, congrats 'navy' on being the newest Moderator) submit a replacement request to Garrett; they may replace it for free--as Minelab did it for me TWICE with my machine.
Don.......

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1, I went through THREE stock arm cuffs before I said enough...I was put in touch with fellow TNetter "Jeff in North Georgia," a great guy who manufactures METAL replacement cuffs for ATPros and others. I purchased one in 2014 from Jeff and it has been outstanding, and in my opinion, is what Garrett should have sent from the factory in the first place. Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice all...may shop around for a replacement but will definitely let Garrett know as the unit is less than 2 years old.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like MacGyver, I always carry a roll of duct tape in my backpack just for this reason. It's been holding my coil on for half a year now after a stupid forest dance (This, my friend, is another story. lol) It's got me out of a lot of "sticky" situations. lol

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to repair my Ace250 plastic cuff, a few times. Garrett did send me a replacement or 2.
I think I have 3 plastic cuffs now, lol.

acrylickit.jpg

I was told in the past, about fake fingernail acrylic fill kits :icon_scratch: I know.....
You're wondering, "What would a guy do with that"!? Well.......
Yes, you too, in your spare time, can make plastic, as good as any factory. :laughing7:

I've used to it remake my arm cuff, I think the one with the acrylic is stronger than the molded factory ones. Also, can/will seal those Excal battery packs, when you accidently drop, knick, or get that fracture, on one. Haven't tried it on a coil, yet, but, the uses are endless......
AND, if you order now...... we'll include....... :laughing7:

It's available at walmart, drug stores, amazon, ebay.... look in the fingernail care aisle.
I'm not saying it may woulda fixed that particular break, but it does have it's applications. :notworthy:
And, I'mma duct tape and bailing wire, kinda cat. :laughing7: :cat:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the field repair held but the finds stayed consistent...no coins or buttons...just more lead. Not complaining though...love finding these smooth Enfields and musket balls.

Attachments

• IMG_20160802_112924_edit.jpg
    IMG_20160802_112924_edit.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 60

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happened to see that flaw early on. I did a little prevention. The original finally broke and they replaced it with a sturdier
cuff band. The connection point was much stronger! But, still, not enough to hold it on in my opinion.

So, after tightening it down, I did a bit of electrical taping. Akin to the type of taping I used to do on cracked, sandlot, baseball bats when I was a kid. (You oldsters know what I mean. Where dad came around asking "Where the H is my electrical tape!?!?". ;)

Anyway, it is pretty well waterproof and stays in place until taken off. Still, a better design is called for in this case.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cuff wore out on mine after 3 months. Word is Garrett will replace them for free but I didn't want a temporary solution. So, I got a metal cuff from Indian Nation Detectors and have been very pleased with the purchase.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had to do the same exact thing. I now have a MXT cuff on it. I like the AT PRo but it is cheaply made. I've had the coil & box break on me too...

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet Garrett will send a replacement free of charge even though it's out of warranty. Garrett's service department is second to none.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet right! Sent a pic to Garrett and they responded to let me know that they are sending a replacement. Great service!

I bet Garrett will send a replacement free of charge even though it's out of warranty. Garrett's service department is second to none.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok..
This happened to me...I drove home, removed what parts of the rivets were left, drilled 2 SMALL holes, placed the cuff over the handle and attached it with 2 new stainless screws...put the foam back over the repair, and was back at my favorite soccer field in less than a half hour...good luck! Ddf

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had that happen twice. I finally made my own out of pvc. Still works great. This year I had my main display box snap off as well. I bought some of that 5 second fix it stuff and glued the heck out of it. It feels stronger now than it did right out of the box. That stuff is amazing! I use it on anything that breaks around the house and also to repair some of those finds I accidentally get a little to rough with

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering, how long have you had your Garrett? Wear and tear is inevitable, BUT, I've had my White's for 12 years without defect. I think it's just the comes with the rigors of much usage. If your detector has pretty much paid for itself, then so be it.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This very thing happened to me. The problem was solved in the field with duct tape two years ago, still have not repaired it...works great! In fact, more stable than the original.

I called Garrett (two years ago) and they sent me a new cuff assembly for free, no issues or non-sense; just have not replaced it! A very good company!!! :icon_thumleft:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering, how long have you had your Garrett? Wear and tear is inevitable, BUT, I've had my White's for 12 years without defect. I think it's just the comes with the rigors of much usage. If your detector has pretty much paid for itself, then so be it.

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. I actually have my original Garrett Groundhog I used in the 70's! And, guess what? It still works and has NEVER broken! I wore a coil down once because I hadn't discovered the coil covers yet. :)

IMHO, the late Mr. Garrett gave us something VERY special ! And at an affordable price! :)

We need to stop wrapping our detectors around poles on bad days, they last longer. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions