Found a great Confederate Button 2 weeks ago....number 9 for the yr!!! Thought every

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one would like to see it.... I posted this originally on Sentinel's website. This button was found in the same immediate area as my British 76th Regiment of Foot. I've been fortunate to make some wonderful finds this month.:headbang: Went back to where I found the S A Myers Richmond Va button back the other day and after hunting hard for 2 hrs I had absolutely nothing to show for it except shotgun shells. I eventually got fed up and it was getting late so I did something drastic. I walked to an area I had never hunted before because of all the trash and bam ....first target a flat button. But it was thick and had a curved planchet. I was curious but I thought I just had a flat button so I placed it in my button container and moved on. Second target 20 ft away bam...... a huge 26mm button popped out with a full standout shank! Man I thought I had another Confederate General Staff!!! It had alot of leaf mulch on the front so I placed it in my button container and did a quick search of the immediate area. The suspense was to great so I started walking toward my vehicle. I found 2 more shot bullets. Four targets total for the day. When I got home I gently washed the huge button and what I saw was 2 greyhounds...... Ughhh, a sportsman button. A good find but not what I was hoping for. Then I gently cleaned the flat button and what did I see but a Virginia state seal!!!! Ohhh Yeahhh.....a one piece Virginia 1820's button with an Armitage Philadelphia backmark! (Tice VA100B3). And I didn't even suspect it.......... and it is beautiful!
grin.gif
This button has a RV 50 in Alberts button book. It was also Virginia's first military button. This is the first one piece Va I have ever dug
smiley-eatdrink004.gif
And the great thing is I only searched this area briefly so you know where I will be going back soon. What a day! Devonrex

Attachments

• SAM_0216.JPG
    SAM_0216.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 129
  • SAM_0224.JPG
    SAM_0224.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 119
  • SAM_0211 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0211 - Copy.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 98
  • SAM_0212 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0212 - Copy.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 0

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of history, very good finds...

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a nice one. Though I have hunted sporadically in Tennessee, Va. and SC since 1971, on short vacations from Florida, I've yet to find a Confederate button. I have a question. You mentioned Albert's RV for the button. Isn't that quite outdated? For those of you who are on top of relic retail values... what percentage increase should be applied to Albert's RV which I believe was established back in the mid-1970's. Note: At that time I could purchase a Block I Confederate coat button from Hicklen at $20--and I did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread