Found a great site and then it was taken.

G

garbage digger

I have been driving by this old fallen down house for some time with the intent to find the owner. I happened to be across the street at a little gas station when the owner of the station assured me that he to owned the property the house sat on. I was granted access and began my journey. It began slow, but I soon began to get a few goodies. Shortly after Wash. state dept. of trans. officer showed up and told me that the original owner had lost rights to the land and it was now owned by the state and that I had to leave :'( Talk about ruining my day.
I was able to haul out a little clad follwed by a 1945 quarter in poor shape that I can barely make out the date on, 1945 s wheat, 1952 wheat no mint mark, and two 1940 s wheats, so at least I got some keepers before I got the boot. ;D
3-27-07002.jpg

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
that was strange ---why did the gas guy say it was his? & who called the state?

maybe it was a set up of some kind.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse my language but that sucks!...Sorry to hear what happened to you. Hope you have much better luck next time. Hang in there. Good finds though.

DANGLANGLEY

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well, At least you got a little stuff from it. Sorry about the State owning rights, they forget a lot of the time that if it wasn't for our tax dollars, they wouldn't own that property at all.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Owned by the state doesent that mean you and I own it, you certailnly have my permission, did dudley do right have a detector in the back of his squade car?

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's a bummer. Anyway, glad you got some good coins out before scrooge showed up.

I'd go a little higher up the ladder and talk to his boss. Maybe with the right person you might still get permission to hunt this site. Just make sure they are not working in the area. Tell him you will sign a paper stating that you will not sue him or the state, if your are injured in the area you want to hunt, or something to that affect. Also that you will leave the area cleaner than the way you found it, by taking all the trash out of the area that you find.

Tell him that any historical finds will be given to the local museum and that you are just trying to preserve history.

Good Luck. Ringfinder

OP
OP
G

garbage digger

Mr. ruin-my-day said that the area was going to be blocked off within the next couple weeks, so that people can't get in there, so I think my chances of regaining entry even with permission is going to be tough. However I'm not giving up yet ;D I was out there for about 2 hours and the last half hour is when I found the area that began producing. I was working on digging another great "silver signal" right when Johnny law popped up >:( I wish I could have found the good spot when I first arrived. I know I would have had many more keepers.

dr-quest

Feb 25, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold, Whites XLT,Tesoro Stingray ll,Whites Surfmaster ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer,man thats almost worse then never knowing whats there.Give some people a badge and they just have to flex there power. :P

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
I can see your face now-

;) nice site have to find owner.
:) found "owner"
:) :) "owner" says yes
;D Getting some good finds/signals
??? copper pulls up
:( says state owns it
>:( relise you can't finish now you've got the good area
:'( after it all gets too much

Unfortuanate results! I'm sure plenty of sites will open up for you though!

Have fun,
Salvager

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
At least you got a shot at it.

There was a tiny field I wanted to detect for a long time. I was denied permission and the next thing I knew it had a hundred town homes built on it.

C'est la vie!

Congrats on what you did get!

Ridley

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as this possibly being a set-up, anybody asking permission to gain access to private property should be wary for being used as a pawn in an ongoing feud. This happened here in Colorado during one elk season. Several hunters were driving around a hunting area with legal tags and saw some elk on private property. The hunters stopped and talked to an individual that ID'ed himself as the property owner, and said that they could hunt the land. They shot three elk filling their tags, and in the process of field dressing the carcasses, an angery little man on a ATV roared up and told them they were trespassing. The land owner pressed charges, and the hunters had to go to court to fight it. It turned out that there was an on going feud betwen the two land owners, and the first land owner used the hunters to poke his neighbor in the eye, so to speak.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with mrs.o on this one, something just doesn`t sound right. what is a Wash. state dept. of trans. officer doing stopping and telling you the state owns the property. Is this a purposed roadway or something? State dept of trans is only incharge or state maintained roadways and there right of ways.

As far as i see this if you went back to the gentleman that said he owned the property and asked for a written permission slip, and he gave you one i would immed walk across the street and start hunting, and IF that dept of trans officer stopped by and told you to leave, my responce would be sorry but i have written permission to be here from the rightfull property owner unless you can show me proof that this is state owned land. Then if you do get in trouble you have the written permission slip to fall back on for legal action.

Truthfully to me it sounds like that state emploree is trying to save a nice hunting spot he has been working or wanted to work.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a bummer ! Hope you can go back and dig up some more souvenirs!

Good luck,
Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread