Found a helo

Smorriso

Greenie
Oct 2, 2011
Detecting in a soccer field behind a school in Virginia Beach today. Received a visit from these guys:

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/police/pd homepage/helo_headlines.jpg

They circled twice then hovered pointed at me about 50 yards away. After hovering for about 20 seconds they overflew me and went back to circling. I felt unwelcome enough to leave. The City of VB is very open to detecting, so I'm not sure if they were just curious or what. Kind of frustrating when all I want is to be left alone and NOT draw attention.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My next stop would be the Police Station so I could ask them
what the heck they thought they were up to, as you were completely
legal, and didn't appreciate the harassment.

Make 'em explain, as that seems inappropriate IMO.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This actually happened to me at a church, I was detecting and under a big oak and a helicopter was hovering right above me. I was freaked out , but kept detecting and they left. I found out later that there was a man hunt for a couple guys in my area - they robbed the local gas station .

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well...its starting to get into the season where they are looking for pot plants - that is my guess..... I was bottle digging once and got back to the car and some cops were there....they were disappointed when they saw the junk in my bag - "we thought you might be harvesting" - "only old junk!"....heh

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Local fella, lives a couple of miles down the road from me, cops were hovering over him out in his field, so he pointed at them, and kind of followed the chopper. Before he knew what was up there were cops all around, he was cuffed and stuffed and had to explain to a judge that he was only point his finger. They were looking for a pot plantation in the area and didn't have any sense of humor. Oh yeah, bad news was the dummy was armed at the time, he was packing a hand gun, lucky for him the gun hadn't been fired recently, so he got off. Told the judge he was hollering at them to leave his property. I suppose you would be arrested as a sexual pervert if you mooned them.

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could be someone saw you from a distance with your detector and ass-umed it to be a gun??!! There is always someone putting their two cents in other peoples business, for better or worse who knows. Ignore them next time and keep on hunting until the tap on the shoulder, then and only then will you really know what they want. hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread