Found a Herd of Buffalo!

mddavis3

May 13, 2019
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got lucky tonight at a 1930 house. Dug my first nickel signal and out pops a Buffalo nickel! Awesome, I thought. Great hunt, I thought. I have only dug one other in the 2+ years I have been detecting. Second signal.....Buffalo nickel! This continues in a two foot square section. I wound up digging 17 Buffalo nickels! None have dates, but I'm super happy to have them as they are. Also found a 1952 Wheat and some newer coins.

Attachments

• buffalo nickels.jpg
    buffalo nickels.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 104
  • buffalo nickel front.jpg
    buffalo nickel front.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Buffalo nickel back.jpg
    Buffalo nickel back.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 34
I don't know if anyone has had a herd as big as yours posted up before, congrats!

Hi My Fellow TH'er. Congrats on finding all those Buffalo Nickels! Wow! I think the most I ever found in one day was three or four but that was many years ago! ;-)

That's crazy!! Congrats!!

Tatanka !! Great work in tracking down the herd Lieutenant Dunbar !!

By the way, here is a way to get the date to reveal itself. There are pros & cons about this but you can use your own judgement. Years ago, we called it "Coin Date". Now they call it "Nic-A-Date".
You can buy it online or get it at most any coin shops or you can make your own. "ferric chloride" You can find Youtube videos online about this. Here is a T-Net link to look at:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coins/285370-homemade-nic-date-recipe.html

Last edited:
I had to travel to Yellowstone to see that many buffalos!! Congrats!

17 Buffalos may be a lifetime for some, you did it in one hunt- Incredible!!

Kudos! Permission door knocks are awesome virgin territory. Keep up the great work and use the house you detected as a reference and reach out to their neighbors or closest farm and your herding skills will improve.

Cheers

A real stampede! Only ones I've ever found are from coin rolls and mostly slick dates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back