Found a house!

Ronson

Jul 17, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, sorta. A couple of weeks ago, I was up at the family farm, looking for the old house site that belonged to the previous owner... I've relied on a 55-year-old memory from my father, and using that, I found an old buried copper gas pipe, so I figured I was on the right track.

Today, I used a resource some of y'all have mentioned, historicaerials.com ...and it all but confirmed the location on that old house, by way of a 1958 topo map, which I was able to overlay with a 2004 aerial pic of the farm... the black box on the '58 topo lines up exactly where I started looking 2 weeks ago!

So I think I'm gonna toss the md and shovel and oh yeah, the kids in the car tomorrow and drive back up!

Thanks to those who recommended the historic aerials site!

And I tend to ramble, so apologies for that. :D

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice work and good thinking using the technology and tools we have now a days! Hope you make some nice finds tomorrow! I know I will be out all day again dirt fishing! Post what you find after the hard work is done tomorrow :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your site! I hope it produces for you.

OP
OP
Ronson

Ronson

Jul 17, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas!

I only had 2-3 hours up there to dig... my kiddos can only have so much fun rooting through the old horse stalls in 100 degrees.

And I didn't find anything to speak of... I'm still pretty new at this and still learning about my MD... for instance, I'm pretty sure I had the sensitivity cranked up way too high, due to all the false pings and such. I did dig a old broken sickle mower blade, and further inspection of that copper pipe now leads me to think it was a ground rod for a lightning rod... it seems to be sunk deeper into the ground as I uncover it, at an angle -- I was gonna dig it completely up, to get an idea of how far back the house went -- and has what looks to be a thick ground wire attached to it that might've come down the side of the house.

So, instead of figuring out where the kitchen was, I think I've figured out where one side of the house was!

This is gonna be a long process, I know... I spent an hour marking a grid with bamboo poles, so that I could map the whole thing and tag where I find anything more noteworthy than broken glass and broken square-head nails... and maybe, eventually, I'll figure out the actual footprint of the house and dig up some silver! Or copper. Or anything. :D

copper ground rod.JPG
sickle mower blade.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread