Found A Killer This Morning, 7-7-11

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had been saving this field for when Team Hartman, from Arrowheadology, could come back down and hunt with me again but we couldn't get a day that worked for everyone and it hadn't had any rain on it yet. But yesterday I saw on the radar where a couple nice little storms passed right over it so I got up early this morning and was in the field before 7:00 am so it wouldn't be so hot.

Boy, am I glad I did. I only found 3 Points, but one of them is a killer Notched Base Dovetail that is almost perfect. Unfortunately, no in situs. I had the camera, but I forgot to take the damn smart card out of the computer at home and put it back in the camera. Duh!!!

The other 2 Points aren't to shabby either. One is a nice Hopewell made of some nice Flint Ridge Flint and the other one is a type we find around here a lot that Converse refers to as a Transitional Point and lists them as late Paleo/Early Archaic.

The Dove has some very heavy grinding on the base which is typical of the type and is also beveled very nicely which is also typical for the type. I really wish I had been able to get the in situ since this baby was laying flat out and completely exposed. The other two were as well. The Dove has a few small nicks out of one side of the blade edge but other than that it is pretty much perfect. Anyone have any ideas on material. I'm thinking Delaware Flint, but I'm not sure. It is a grayish color with some whitish inclusions.

I'm going back in the morning after I get off work at 5:30 AM and hunt the rest of it I didn't get to this morning and unfortunately there won't be in situs then either since I was running late tonight and forgot to grab the damn camera. I'm almost tempted to run home and get it first, but since the field is only a half mile from work and it's 11 miles to the house I doubt I will. I guess I don't have to get in situs of everything. lol

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 703
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 697
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 693
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 696
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 695
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 698
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Oh Steve, those are beautiful, especially the dovetail. But I love the color of the last one.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a e notch dove, lol. thats awesome. i regret not taking my insitu when i had my camera out and everything but decided mine was just a tip. cant wait to find a complete dove, great finds

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the one on right a form of boyle chert,

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats,That is a killer point!There all nice :icon_thumleft:

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
nice nice finds steve, dove is a killer. You have some fantastic places to hunt
beautiful country. take care and some more good luck... JYD...

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
beautiful points SRV. Love the dovetail. Bet your blood got pumping when you spotted that one!! :icon_thumright:

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Niiiiiiiiice. Man, how lucky can you be? You found a Dove AND when you dropped it on the deck or picnic table, it landed right between the boards and didn't break (jk). Seriously, though, awesome point.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate the comments.

Mia, I really like the colors of the Flint Ridge Hopewell too.

trevmma, I don't think it's Boyle Chert. I'm not sure exactly what it is. It has some river stain on it so it's hard to see the material very well.

Huntress, yes it did get my heart pounding. Especially since it laying flat out completely exposed. I just love finding them that way.

Also, after showing it on Arrowheadology we have pretty much decided that it just may be Fort Payne Chert and not Delaware. I got out my ID book on midwestern chert types and it does look just like Fort Payne.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
That's a nice one steve, and even I can see the grinding on the base! (i think) It IS nice when you find them all laid out, just waiting on you to come along and pick it up. It's a happy moment!

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Those are some really great finds :icon_thumright:. The dovetail is really a killer :notworthy: :headbang:. Really beautiful !!! Congratulation's !!! :hello:

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creek astronaut said:
very killer find steve.i am checkin this out on my phone so it is hard to tell on material but id guess delaware or some very patinated coshocton.thx for the look.

I thought Delaware as well when I first found it, but after showing it around to some people we have decided it's Fort Payne Chert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread