Found A Living Gem today

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting in the woods for six hours today. I made some metallic finds which I will post later. I also found a living gem known as the Luna Moth.

luna1.jpg luna2.jpg

Upvote 39

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot]Once it becomes an adult, the luna moth no longer feeds at all (in fact, it has no mouth for feeding). It will live for only about a week as an adult, during which time it mates, and the female lays her eggs. It's relatively rare, and rarer if you see it since it usually comes out at night.
Don....[/FONT]

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first moved here 27 yrs. ago I used to see those big moths all the time. Cecropia, Imperial, Luna. Now I rarely see them. Here's the last one I saw a couple of years ago. Landed on my barn. Gary

IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0400.JPG

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful. I saw big gypsy moth last month in the grass. Then a week later got a letter in the mail saying they were spraying for them. Helicopters or whatever they used came at 7 am so they woke me up. I had never even heard of them before but I guess they are a problem.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a beauty, a great memory keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful. I saw big gypsy moth last month in the grass. Then a week later got a letter in the mail saying they were spraying for them. Helicopters or whatever they used came at 7 am so they woke me up. I had never even heard of them before but I guess they are a problem.
There seems to be an uptick with the Gypsy Moth even here in Eastern Ontario. All Know is the fish along the shoreline dock love the caterpillars, throw them in the water, and it's like we have a piraña living below.:headbang:

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While not officially on any endangered list the Luna Moth is threatened in many areas. At one point biological controls were introduced to control gypsy moths such as a species of green beetle. Unfortunately it also preyed upon the Luna Moth. This moth has a wingspan of over 4 inches.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome photo, thanks for sharing! :occasion14:

fano169

Jul 23, 2012
I wish they would go easy with all these pesticides, wiping out nature and us slowly down the road

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is one beautiful looking Moth. Mother nature sure provided a treat for you that day.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lovely! I recently discovered the app “Seek” which I can use my phone and app to point and shoot at any living thing and it will attempt to classify and name the species of what I am looking at..Very pretty find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread