found a millitary button yesterday!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well me and my son and the vaquero went for a hunt yesterday in a baseball field that just keeps producing and decided to dig everything basicly cleaning up the pull tabs and my son started to get into it a little acting like a caddy to a golfer he'd take the tab and burry the hole and and hand me my detector walking beside until i started to dig then he take it and along the the way were a few buttons which at the time did'nt pay much attention to at the time but took them anyway and got loking at the mthis mornig and one stood out first thing i noticed was the stars around then a what looked like a anchor then saw cannon balls then a eagle perched on on the cannon and i new i had some kind of millitary button i was estatic first one found just been unable to find out what error it s from really looks revolutionary, but hard saying without knowing, i'll try to post dam camera stinks sorry for crap photo!

Attachments

• millitary button.jpg
    millitary button.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 192

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It's kind of hard to tell by the pic but by the shape of the anchor I think it's a mid 1900's civilian button made to look military

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i don't knowthere's a tiny revolutionary cemetary maybe 2 graves in it found the button 70' off to the side of it

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
A rev war navy button wouldn't have an eagle just an anchor and would have been a one piece button. I believe what you have is the face to a 2 piece button. They started putting eagles on the navy buttons in the early 1800's but the anchors were veritcal not horizontal until the 1850s when the started with the horizontal anchors. The eagles on those buttons faced to our right until the switched them to face to our left in 1942. So if it is military it wouldn't date until 1942 or later but by the way the anchor looks I still think it's a civilian button. Sorry

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i was'nt sure what i had the 13 stars threw me off thinking it might be really old so thanks for the info!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
You're welcome for the info. Sorry I couldn't tell you it was something really good.

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
me too...would like some much needed info if anyone knows about this...I posted in the button section but not much action over there I guess. From what I can gather its civil war union navy...anyone able to confirm this or is it a repro Id appreciate it! HH

well its a repro,DOH! thanks for the info vayank! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 152
  • button.jpg
    button.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 153

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread