Found a monster spear point

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out looking for shed elk antlers when I happened upon this. I have found a lot of arrowheads in the past, but this is by far the largest ever. point.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 32

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a native point. I don't look for them, but after 30 yrs hunting, trapping, fishing and MD'ing, you'd think I'd stub my toe on something.
Congrats on the find.

OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't look for them either, but once in a while I find them while tooling around out in the sticks. There was a lot of activity in the area where I live. The stuff is everywhere, just not this humongous. I honestly don't know if it was a spear point or arrowhead. A friend of mine thinks it for an atlatl. Here is a link to a description on it.https://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-indian-weapons-tools/atlatl.htm

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I only find about 1 point every year now. Nobody around here plows anymore.

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't look for them either, but once in a while I find them while tooling around out in the sticks. There was a lot of activity in the area where I live. The stuff is everywhere, just not this humongous. I honestly don't know if it was a spear point or arrowhead. A friend of mine thinks it for an atlatl. Here is a link to a description on it.https://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-indian-weapons-tools/atlatl.htm

Very sweet find congratulations! Definitely not a arrowhead and doubtful as a atlatl, more likely a hafted knife.
https://www.ou.edu/archsur/OKArtifacts/points.htm

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. A few more pics at diff angles would be nice, like how thick it is. CONGRATZ..

OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, it sorta makes me want to go back over there again for another look see.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning obsidian artifact, congratulations. And I agree with Kentuckywonder on this one, most likely a hafted knife blade. Notice the slightly turned tip and the slightly indented (softened) edges near the bottom, where the hafting would have been. Just a super find and I would go back and hit that area hard after a rain. Sub 8-)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy! I've often said, "I'm sure glad I didn't get hit by that!" But, I was referring to civil war bullet!

WOW! I can't even imagine! That would HURT!! But....not for long....I guess. ;)

Super find!

I just don't seem to have the knack for seeing points of ANY kind! :BangHead:
To date, I have found one "bird point" and that one was under a tree at a modern day school! LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and most likely a knife... If you want I will move thread to our artifact forum after awhile.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and most likely a knife... I corrected typo in your title, if you want I will move thread to our artifact forum after awhile.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent artifact. She's a real beauty and in A+ condition it appears. Proudly display that wonderful find. I always keep my eyes peeled when out on the hunt. Been finding cool stuff with my eyes since birth pretty much. Thanks for sharing your way cool discovery. BTW, I have one pretty close to what you have there. If I can find it I will post a picture.:BangHead:

OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and most likely a knife... I corrected typo in your title, if you want I will move thread to our artifact forum after awhile.

Yes, thank you sir for the title correction. Feel free to move, I just thought I would post it here because it was today's find.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thank you sir for the title correction. Feel free to move, I just thought I would post it here because it was today's find.

Posting here was fine, it was a "todays find", I'm just offering to move it to artifacts when your ready....

OP
OP
CoinHunterAZ

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem my friend, how about when it gets to the bottom of the first page? I was so stoked about it that I wanted everyone to see it! It's a big hunk of obsidian.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread