worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It's mother was killed and this little guy was wondering around this morning,I didn't smell his perfume so I picked him up,sure is a cute little bugger.When I got home I told my Wife "I have a pet for you"her reply..GET OUT!"

K1600_DSCN3140.JPG

I wonder how much descenting will cost.Skunks make good pets.

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Cute, but I have to agree with your wife on this one. Skunks "can" make good pets, but remember this is a wild animal - nature should take its course.

That said, here's a couple of sites you might find helpful:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/19480041_An_Alternate_Method_of_Descenting_Skunks

Pet Skunks - Walkin' Wild Skunk Rescue

http://www.stichtinghetstinkdier.nl/skunks/As pet.htm

And finally, PLEASE check out this site, including the link showing areas where skunks have been reported carrying rabies. You live in one of the highest-rated areas for skunk-carrying rabies.
Keeping Wild Baby Skunks as Pets

But yes, they ARE adorable!! Hmm....we have a mama skunk here. Want us to send it to you via "special" delivery?? ROFL - Copy.gif

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cute. Poor little guy. Not sure Fish & Game would be in agreement with you on keeping it?. Around here there's a place to take lost and injured wildlife. Greenwood Wildlife Rehabilitation Center I took a baby squirrel there once that was blown from a nest in a heavy windstorm. Would be a cool pet, but I believe they're are laws against keeping wild critters as pets in some states.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
After doing research on them looks like it isn't such a good idea after all,it was nice for awhile though.I put him out back in the woods,I doubt he'll make it on his own.

GOD Bless

Chris

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Rabies is a scary thing. I never knew they could be born with it!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
We had a pet skunk when I was a kid. Actually it was more my brothers skunk, but it was a household pet. Same deal, ma skunk was killed by a car, dad picked up baby skunk and took to vet to have de-oderized. Cost plenty then, and probably more now. Smells up everything in operating room and they have to really clean it up afterwards. Anyhow, we had a skunk named "Pinky," and as far as a good pet, I guess it depends on what you call good. Every chance it got, it hid behind stuff, under couch etc. Don't remember where it went potty, it must have been house trained, or Mom wouldn't have tolerated it inside. Even after the operation it still had an offensive odor, although not over bearing, but enough that it had it's own outside pen/cage for night time. It could be picked up and petted etc. without Pinky getting upset and biting, so it was tame that way. But when you walked toward it to pick it up, it would stamp its feet at you a couple of times, then turn and fire a blank. We probably had more fun with the skunk than the skunk had with us. I remember taking it to a DeMolay dance, and causing a lot of Rainbow Girls to scream and scatter. Don't recollect what happened to it, I joined the Navy and when I got out, and Pinky was gone.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Been thinking about my last post......I "used" to know that skunks and other animals could be born with rabies. But after so many decades of zero encounters, plus no up-close-and-intimate encounters with wild animals, have never had the need to remember that little tidbit of information. :tongue3:

Bos, that first link up there tells of an alternate means of dealing with the odor glands. Of course, it neglects to mention how tightly to tie the floss, so guess someone would just have to experiment on the cute little buggar. As for your skunk being a good pet, all animals (both wild and domestic) have their own personalities, just as people do. As one article says, some skunks will want to curl up in your lap for hours, just like many cats. That said, we have a cat that would rather go 60 rounds with Mike Tyson than lay in your lap, UNLESS you happen to be sitting on the front steps in the middle of sub-zero temps and the cat wants to get warmed up! Funny thing though, she never has much liked being held until just the past couple of years (she's 14 now), after she had to fend for herself one entire winter while we were stranded out of state. She had run off on an excursion before we left, so "Oh well!" When we got back, she has been more accepting of handling, and waited well over a year to make another excursion. But now she's been sprayed heavily by a skunk and is getting kept at least 20' away! She likes keeping distance so long as it's her idea, but she's pretty miserable being forced to stay back!
ROFL - Copy.gif

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing research on them looks like it isn't such a good idea after all,it was nice for awhile though.I put him out back in the woods,I doubt he'll make it on his own.

Awww, poor little guy. I agree that s/he probably won't make it without your help. Can you call a wildlife rehabber for help? I checked in your area and they suggest this page with information for MA/Western MA ... Wildlife Rehabilitation

Thank you for helping this little orphan. :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Googled it - illegal in Massachusetts. Now here in Maryland, you can't own ANYTHING, except of course a cat or dog, and a few other exceptions. My cat says anything is ok as long as it sheds everywhere, costs way too much on upkeep and barfs on carpet constantly.

Your little guy needs to go to a wildlife rehab place. Here is Maryland vets are REQUIRED to report anyone who brings in an illegal animal.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Awww, poor little guy. I agree that s/he probably won't make it without your help. Can you call a wildlife rehabber for help? I checked in your area and they suggest this page with information for MA/Western MA ... Wildlife Rehabilitation

Thank you for helping this little orphan. :)

It's a little late for that by now to far into the THICK TICK INFESTED region.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with your wife lol. NO to a skunk:tongue3: My ex girlfriend wanted a pet skunk and was told no vets here in Pa will or are allowed to take out the scent glands now.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Feed it, take it to the vet and have it fixed and then love it. They do make wonderful pets, love cat food and are not messy. And he is precious...Something else. They are better than a guard dog. Nobody will mess around ever, when they see him sitting in a window catching rays and looking at them. Him, a raccoon or a bobcat are the best. Have had the first two, knew a girl(game warden's daughter) that had the bobcat. It loved her and me, but hated everything and everyone else. Used to call him "Wild Cat" when he climbed into my lap(had one then) and dozed...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread