rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well believe it or not I have gone on 2 hunts in the last week and have just about been skunked on both trips. I use to be happy with finding a broken piece but now I consider it a skunk day. I try not to bring anything home unless it is frame worthy. I was hoping to have more than this to post but this is it. Its a new type of pottery I have been told. It feels like stone its so heavy a lot different from the normal pieces I have ever found. I almost didnt even pick it up but lucky for me I saw the designs on the 1 side. Its red in color so it stood out and I decided to bend over for a closer look. Not sure the date of it but I have been told its called Grit Pottery, rock

Attachments

• SDC12221.JPG
    SDC12221.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • SDC12224.JPG
    SDC12224.JPG
    993.3 KB · Views: 110
  • SDC12225.JPG
    SDC12225.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said on the other site, I think it's some really thick Grit Tempered Pottery. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me from just looking at your pictures. In hand may be different.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said on the other site, I think it's some really thick Grit Tempered Pottery. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me from just looking at your pictures. In hand may be different.

Could be its my 1st type like it. Its going in my pottery frame either way.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to be so late posting but been real busy. I love it and yes pottery, I think I have a piece or two similar. It's an awesome find and hoping you will find more like it.

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say sand tempered, early Woodland period.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its sand what is the lighter pieces I usually find made from then?

The color of the ceramic vessel is mostly determined by the temperature by which the material is fired and how much oxidation occurs. Clay color plays a big roll but temper plays a much smaller role. Controlling and maintaining constant temperature is the key and separates the men from the boys so to speak.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I have a handful of that heavy thick pottery. Never thought of it having a name or type.

Good recovery on your part.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like typical to some of our Tennessee pottery from red clay with shell temper or limestone temper. I have buckets for comparison.
i also have simulated that exact pottery and fired it. I f you wish like examples let me know
HH Rock

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no doubt its pottery now I guess I was the only 1 that thought stone bowl but if you never find something and then find a piece its better to ask to be sure. I will be on the lookout for that type for now on, thanks for all the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread