Found a nice coin but it has glue on it..seeking advice

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I found this 1936D in a roll yesterday, and it appears it was glued to paper at one point in time. I would like to clean the glue/grime off without damaging the coin, is this possible? I have read that a soak in acetone will remove the glue but I am not sure this is a good idea. I would rather not destroy any numismatic value this coin has. Thanks in advance for any advice.

scaled.php

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it came out of sand, no problem.

poftravel

Apr 4, 2012
Coppell, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett TA300, GTAx-1250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Acetone won't damage a silver coin, just rinse it in distilled water after. I have submitted many coins for PCGS grading and it is not detectable.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Hello all,

I found this 1936D in a roll yesterday, and it appears it was glued to paper at one point in time. I would like to clean the glue/grime off without damaging the coin, is this possible? I have read that a soak in acetone will remove the glue but I am not sure this is a good idea. I would rather not destroy any numismatic value this coin has. Thanks in advance for any advice.

scaled.php
1936-D: 30,092 minted I don't think you have to much to worry about decreasing value...

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the results of my acetone immersion. Dipped it into the acetone and dabbed it lightly with a cue tip. The paper and some glue came off immediately. I am afraid to do much more than what I did, I also rolled (not rubbed) the cue tip across the surface of the coin, which seemed to pick up a little more. Under magnification I can see that some glue remains but I do not want to go further and damage the coin, that said, it is circulated so some fine scratches are apparent on the high points. The one nice thing is the obverse was the side that was glued down so the detailing is very much intact with very little apparent wear. I think ill leave it as is for a while.

dscn2179e.jpg

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Would it be foolish to have this coin graded/slabbed?

It's really your opinion. It's not that valuable, but it is still more valuable than the grading. It may come up as damaged because of the glue, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread