found a nugget!

B

backandforth

posted earlier about the caballo mountains and hillsboro in new mexico and where to go. I found some old tailing piles in hillboro and went over them with my minelab 18000. Being new to metal detecting,I wasn't quite how to tell the difference between metal, lead(bullets) or gold. After three days of playing around, I ended up with adout a pound of you name it trash. I found out that lead sounds a lot like gold, and metal makes a whole different sound. I also found out by playing with the different frequencies just how far my machine would go. The end result after I removed the trash was 1/2 ounce of gold. mI borrowed my frinds scale and the largest nugget was 4.3 penny weight in quartz. I took a rake and moved some material and found the rest. I was running the machine in 20. I think there is potential for this place and am trying to find someone that is familiar with this area or willing to go. could use all the advice i can get. haven't tried the caballo mountains yet , but books point to gold being found there as well.

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations!

Your first gold find is a huge event, one that may change your outlook forever. It's a wonderful thing to move as much trash as you did and get the reward of the gold in your poke. Many others would have given up. Heck, I've given up on trashy areas many times, but stories like yours make me see the potential, and remind me of a few very trashy areas in some solid nugget producing ground.

All the best,

Lanny

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I live in Hillsborough county right next to the Hillsborough river, but as this is Florida I don't think I'm available to hunt there! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread