BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found A Penny metal detecting missing the last # in the date '197'

Found this metal detecting so unfortunatly the condition as a coin is pretty poor but non the less after looking it over for hours I can not seem to find any evidence of the last number being there. I have nop intentions on faking a coin mistake but Its a fact that some people do so i can't be to sure until I have it looked at but until then take a look and let me know your thoughts! Thanks everyone!
-Brian
20140118_220318.jpg

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is pitted and worn, but you should be able to see something of the last date digit, so that leads me to the fact that the last digit was struck weak because the die was either filled with grease or a mint employee used an abrasive that caused the last digit to be completely removed. It's not as uncommon as you might think, and it should be a variety, but the experts just don't take modern Memorial errors serious enough unless it's a double die or a repunched mint mark.

OP
OP
BrianDickSmith

BrianDickSmith

Dec 31, 2013
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is pitted and worn, but you should be able to see something of the last date digit, so that leads me to the fact that the last digit was struck weak because the die was either filled with grease or a mint employee used an abrasive that caused the last digit to be completely removed. It's not as uncommon as you might think, and it should be a variety, but the experts just don't take modern Memorial errors serious enough unless it's a double die or a repunched mint mark.

Thanks a lot!I found another guy who found the same penny. with the '197' D mark so its leading more towards what you said.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see these often in emails I get, and topics on the forum I founded, plus in all the coins I go through. I think they will eventually gain a value but since it's a cent it seems people just overlook them. A Three Leg Buffalo Nickel is missing part of the leg because of the same thing, but they got the press and acceptance from the top experts, so they're worth the big bucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread