Found a pistol.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
I made it back to the swimming hole for a couple hour hunt. I found 19 cents spendable coins, 1945 wheat cent, small bell, lots of junk and an old pistol. The pistol looks like a .38 cal. I found it in a nearby ash dump. It's a good sign when the fishing sinkers start surfacing from the creek. It seems like one big nail will hide a pile of good targets so it pays to dig the junk. I won't be far from the water all summer long. I've been seeing alot of turtles lately. Some of them are pretty big, should I worry? Thanks for looking! DD.

Attachments

• 620.JPG
    620.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 979
  • 620bell.JPG
    620bell.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 978
  • 620pistol.JPG
    620pistol.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 969
  • 620pistol1.JPG
    620pistol1.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 972
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like a spur trigger .32 rimfire most likely ( they were the saturday night special of their era) but .22 rimfire was also very common too -- a few not too many were made later on in .38 short type centerfire

looks to have a "birds head" type grip.

the open "spur" type trigger made these guns very dangerous to tote.

the bell is called a crotal bell --and is often used by placing it around livestock animals neck to help find them when they wonder off into in thick brushy areas. --the seeker listens for the tinkle of the bell to close in on the animal.

snapping turtles can be bad news -- best stay away from em -- nasty buggers.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Pistol !!!!! :headbang: Congrats

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool crotal bell that one is nicer than the ones i find with iron rivets, and only snapping turtles are the one to look out for,i caught little ones with there shells the size of large cents, and they try to bite your fingers off, they can cut you and give nasty infections. but usually if you leave them alone they leave you alone, if one comes near just plash water at tham or wave your coil at it and they will swim away.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second on the .32 rimfire.

Was one of the first models Smith and Wesson made. The last time I repaired and cleaned one it was worth $3200.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread