Found a pocket book....216 years old! APPRAISAL!

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Found a pocket book....216 years old!

Clearly, there is alot of history in that old house! What an awesome post :thumbsup:

I like the Antiques Roadshow Idea, but at the very least, this would be a shoe-in segment for one of those discovery channel shows about "Lost Treasure". I would be documenting all those finds with a video camera- maybe even call a local news channel and get a professional camera man to help- I'm sure they would love to do a story on this! (make sure that the place is very secure before you do any of that though!)

Great post!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

but what hes gotta worry about if he goes locally on tv or whatever, is the chance of jerks trying to steal whatever out of that house there..so thats another thing to think about.... stick with the pros.. quietly at first... thats my two cents.

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself

Does the word Antique Road Show Mean Any Thing?

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

I would go and search every nook and cranny in the old structures, looking for hidden walls, hidden areas under the staricase, over each door .......etc., etc.

If it has a chinmey look at the mantle, go outside near the bottom of the chimney and see if there are any loose bricks.. (they can be taken out and something hidden behind them)

Check in any attic areas for odd shaped out of sort wood.

You have a "treasure" and finding other items in the house is just like whipped cream and a cherry on top.

AWESOME thread.

Congrats !!!!!!! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ

This is so cool... and someone said it before me... but this is the best thing I've seen found here. Way to go~!!

I found a little coin purse (red velvet) in not as cool a way.. but it had 2 pages of paper tucked inside:
J &J Tait Flour, Feed anf Lumber
Taitsville, MO
Its a receipt of some sort.
It was in a thrift store in AZ

I love the desk!!
Janiece

metalhack

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2005

I passed up reading this thread a few times. I am very glad I didnt pass it up again.

Amazing find and awesome thread!!!!

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I brought it to Kaja Veilleux's Free Appraisal Day up in Thomaston . He is a "high end " auctioneer in Maine .

He was very interested in it . I showed him the Nathan Niles printout "The American Hero ;Sapphitic Ode"(Thanks Gypsy Heart) I told him that I found Aaron's grave in Walpole .

He had 2 of his other appraiser's come into the room to take a look . They were all very intrigued . He set the amount at $500.00 - $1000.00 Which he said is the lowest . I told him that I did not want to sell it at this point now .
He told me that he is having a 2-day Ephemera/Book Auction this fall , and if I did change my mind he would need it 2 months prior to the auction - his staff would fully research it - he said that if they found any connection between Aaron Blaney and Nathan Niles - It could go for Multiple Thousands .

He said that one of his "High End" bidders is an Archivist from the Maine State Museum - who may be quite interested in an item like this - he also pointed out that he has a following of 850 international clients and 2,800 USA clients who are on his mailing list and are sent full color brochures ( he takes a lot of Phone bids)

Kaja sold an original copy of the Declaration Of Independence a few years ago . It ended up in a lawsuit . The town of Yarmouth ended up winning .

Attachments

• Picture_001.jpg
    Picture_001.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,189
  • Picture_002_(2).jpg
    Picture_002_(2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,212

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the appraisal man, I would say that is a very conservative estimate. If you find the right buyer/collector, it will easily jump into the multi-thousand range.

Truly remarkable find

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
It could be worth far, far more than 500-1000 bucks. If you can prove that this guy is the original author you may stand american history on it's head...and make that book worth some tens of thousands or more...but if it's worth a whole lot the Blaney family is going to come out of the woodwork and come after you.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I agree and think it is worth far more, heck 500 it would be better to give it to a museum for folks to see for many many years to come

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Shouldn't be too hard to figure out who his high end bidder at the museum is. Make a call.

My local auction house has a 12% buyers premium. That of course means 12% of what the bidder offers goes to the auction house.

Maybe you could cut out the middle man. Make yourself and the buyer happy in a private sale.

Or hang on to it. If it's really historical you might be surprised who ends up contacting you.

Thinking on that, stash it somewhere safe where it won't deteriorate and any papers won't fade or get moldy etc.

Good luck,
Tricia

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Truly and amazing find, I like the pocket book, song and letter, but those desks are simply AMAZING!!! If I had found those, no amount of "field work" would get done.

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
I'd keep it safe somewhere and never sell, at least not for $500-$1000. It is way too cool to just have that in your possession. Then again, I've been broke many times and had to sell some 'cool' things that I probably shouldn't have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread