Found A Real Piece Of American History, Literally! Plus Half Cent!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all, I finally had a chance to get out to the site that I found the 1806 Half Cent again. I had known of the site for a long time, as it is my fiances parents property, but have not had much of a chance to MD there. I remember her parents telling me of how there was an old house there before they had bought the property. The house had been torn down about 20 years ago, and the house that they live in now was built. There is also an old barn on the property. Anyways, I was detecting there back in December and found an 1806 Half Cent, I was so excited because I hardly ever find coins, and then to find a Half Cent! There was nothing else found at the site that day, but when I helped them clean out the barn, I found a very old book. I opened it up to find a hand written inscription saying "Jane Elizabeth Whitten, Was, on November 1, 180_(page is torn). When this you see, think of me when I am old and in my grave." I thought that was kinda creepy. I turned to the title page and saw the title "The History of the American Revolution". The page that had the date and author is missing, but I did some research and found out that it is a first edition published in 1789 by David Ramsay. I think I would classify that book as my best find ever. I mentioned it in a post back in December, but never got around to posting pictures or a story.

Now lets get back to "Todays Finds". I went back out to my Fiances parents property again thismorning and swung the coil for a couple of hours. Yet again, like before, I was starting to give up because I was finding only a couple of keepers (a small brass buckle and thimble). I started heading back to their house, and swept the coil under a very large oak tree and got a very strong signal. I started digging and tearing through the roots and pulled out a small round disc, hoping and praying that it was a coin. I took it back to the house and started washing it off. When I took the toothbrush to it, I saw a face come out on the front and just about fainted when I saw that it was ANOTHER Half Cent. Immediatly after I regained myself from shock, I started working at the date, and almost fainted again when I saw that it was ANOTHER 1806!!! And it is in much better shape than the other one! I think I might have gone a little overboard when I started using the wire brush. Oh well, it will stay with me until I die regardless of the value.

I have posted pics of the book as well as the half cents. The better half cent is the one I just found, and the worn one is the one I found back in December. Also, notice the pic of the text in the book. The "e" in "resided" is upside down! Very interesting. Let me know what you think. Thanks and HH!

Fox

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 922
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 907
  • book3.jpg
    book3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 915
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and story, thanks for the post! HH, Mike

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am still looking for that second volume, and I found one, but it is in poor condition and its not the first edition. It's $50 from ABEBooks.com. Keep me posted if anyone finds one for cheaper. Thank you, and HH!

Fox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread