Found a Semi-key 1918D Buffalo in my Nickel Box Today!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, just days after finding a 1950D Jefferson nick in a roll at work, I made another cool nickel find today. I went out this morning and did 4 boxes of halves (all skunks). On the way home, I decided to try a box of nickels... hadn't bought a box since last summer. About halfway through the box, I saw a nickel with a slightly darker edge. I pulled it out of the stack, hoping for a war nick, and found this beauty! (See pics below.) Saw the 1918 date first; flipped it over and was pleased to see the D mint mark. The rest of the box yielded a few other goodies: a nice '38, a better-date '38D (needed that one for my CRH Jefferson Set), and a few other common 39's, 40's, and 50's. No war nicks - guess I will have to settle for the 18D! Red Book lists it at $40 in VG - that's about what I grade it (too bad it's not the 18/7d).

HH
BB

Attachments

• 18d1.png
    18d1.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 18d2.png
    18d2.png
    188 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - you're doing great with the nickels lately! That's a great find! :icon_thumright:

I just checked a no date D buffalo that I found in my last nickel box in Jan. I've been soaking it in vinegar for the past 6 weeks and I can still barely read the date after 6 weeks of soaking. It looks like a '28D or '29D. The dates of the last two buffaloes I soaked came out much better. I think one was a '14 & the other was an '18.

I'm ready for another box of nics sometime this week. I'll probably have much better luck finding silver than I have from my half boxes lately too.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that semi key nickel! It's tough to find the earlier buffalos with readable dates and you found a nice one. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is in pretty nice condition for a wild buffalo!

congrats!

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baddbluff said:
Well, just days after finding a 1950D Jefferson nick in a roll at work, I made another cool nickel find today. I went out this morning and did 4 boxes of halves (all skunks). On the way home, I decided to try a box of nickels... hadn't bought a box since last summer. About halfway through the box, I saw a nickel with a slightly darker edge. I pulled it out of the stack, hoping for a war nick, and found this beauty! (See pics below.) Saw the 1918 date first; flipped it over and was pleased to see the D mint mark. The rest of the box yielded a few other goodies: a nice '38, a better-date '38D (needed that one for my CRH Jefferson Set), and a few other common 39's, 40's, and 50's. No war nicks - guess I will have to settle for the 18D! Red Book lists it at $40 in VG - that's about what I grade it (too bad it's not the 18/7d).

HH
BB
congrats

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice one, it's hard to find older buffalo nickels with dates on them, let alone a semi-key date that is 94 years old!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions