Found a square nail that read quarter and wouldnt disc out...

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pic? 'Thanks for lookin!?' Yeah buddy, thanks for postin.

Upvote 0

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats cause this sucker is solid brass! Sorry about no picture, but looks like

a typical big square nail, 3 3/4 inches long w/ a half inch head. Seems like

the standard use for a nail this big would command it to be iron. Any ideas?

Found it way out in a field w/ civil war activity. Thanks for lookin, Joey

Don't need a pic to respond to this. Nails fool a lot of detectors, regardless of what I've heard. They will often read high on both my MXT Pro and my T2SE. I also have an AT Pro, but have not used it enough on land to make a determination. If the nail is bent at all, that makes it worse, but I've had plenty of small straight ones ring high too. You're not alone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Oh, you have never dug a square nail before, so you cannot "imagine" it.
You cant "imagine" this one with a crusty green patina because its made of brass not iron.
wow, Im glad you dont dig nails, your a better man than I !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
yea bent iron nails are a real politician, fool ya everytime! thanks for reply

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get old enough some are made of bronze.By the way does it look like any of these in this hand full?

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just speaking up to give you additional confirmation of what Charlie P. told you. Brass/bronze/copper square-nails were manufactured primarily for Maritime use, because they are so much more resistant to corrosion (especially saltwater corrosion) than iron/steel nails. Therefore, brass/bronze/copper nails tend to be found mostly in Seacoast areas, though they're also found in some quantity near "navigable" rivers.

My early years of civil war relic-digging were spent in Atlanta Campaign sites. In all those years I never dug so much as a single brass/bronze/copper square-nail. Then in the early 1980s I spent some time digging near Fort Fisher, NC (Wilmington area) ...and was stunned by how many brass/copper square-nails nails I dug. I asked my local (Wilmington) digger-buddy about them, and he explained their Maritime use (boats, ships, beach-shacks, docks, etc). He also exlained why I was digging lots-&-lots of copper sheetmetal. It was used to sheath boat-hulls, because in addition to being resistant to saltwater corrosion, copper is toxic to barnacles and algae, thereby preventing them from growing on the boat's hull.

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just speaking up to give you additional confirmation of what Charlie P. told you. Brass/bronze/copper square-nails were manufactured primarily for Maritime use, because they are so much more resistant to corrosion (especially saltwater corrosion) than iron/steel nails. Therefore, brass/bronze/copper nails tend to be found mostly in Seacoast areas, though they're also found in some quantity near "navigable" rivers.

My early years of civil war relic-digging were spent in Atlanta Campaign sites. In all those years I never dug so much as a single brass/bronze/copper square-nail. Then in the early 1980s I spent some time digging near Fort Fisher, NC (Wilmington area) ...and was stunned by how many brass/copper square-nails nails I dug. I asked my local (Wilmington) digger-buddy about them, and he explained their Maritime use (boats, ships, beach-shacks, docks, etc). He also exlained why I was digging lots-&-lots of copper sheetmetal. It was used to sheath boat-hulls, because in addition to being resistant to saltwater corrosion, copper is toxic to barnacles and algae, thereby preventing them from growing on the boat's hull.
Very true,& is why we still paint the bottoms of boats now & days with copper base paints.Below are some of what CB was telling you about,just a few handy pieces I had inside.They also use lead to patch holes in the hulls which in the pic. below you'll see.Common on very early ships & small boats.Also added a link to see as well that they did use iron spikes & nails to..
Structural Components

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timekiller,

Is that a piece of lead that was used for patching a hull? We have found some BIG bronze nails in our Colonial field here, and many, many pieces of lead that were thin, and had nail holes in them.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is,I've seen & held hull sheathing from old ships.But you have to remember lead was also used on homes roof flashing,etc.But I hunt water sites mainly old small ports/docks.A good way to tell the difference is hull sheathing is usually thicker also may contain tar resin,hair,or clothe imprints.Took a couple more shots this morning in day light so you can see the imprints of where the clothe was & how thick these pieces are.I'll add you a site that talks about hull sheathing so you can see what I'm saying.
http://www.melfisher.org/pdf/Lead_Sheathing_from_Santa_Margarita.pdf
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
copper sheathing for hulls was a common way to prevent sea moss (algie) and barnacles from attaching to the wooden ship hulls --it also prevented sea worms from boring holes into the wooden hulls causing them to leak. -- bronze and copper spikes and nails were also much more corrision resistant than iron or steel in salt water uses. -- if one is close to a sea port area its not uncommon to find them in homes and other uses as folks often used what was best suited to the local area for build supplies and often "maritime"supply's were often "pinched" for private use --thats why the british navy had "broad arrow" marks on british govt naval items to be able to "prove" it was govt property if someone stole it, for "private use"

while lead was used for patching hulls -- in the very old days it was used instead of copper for hull sheathing --if one finds old lead sheathing one likely found a very old possible treasure shipwreck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Time killer, thanks and yea it looks just like the square nail in lower left corner only this one is 3 3/4 inches long with a half inch head-as big a square
nail as ive ever seen-iron,brass or other wise

Upvote 0
OP
OP
snaps

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
cannonball guy, great info thanks! and as you only dug these nails near water, Im wondering how this nail ended up in a union camp in Md. nowhere near water

Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time killer, thanks and yea it looks just like the square nail in lower left corner only this one is 3 3/4 inches long with a half inch head-as big a square
nail as ive ever seen-iron,brass or other wise
No problem,I took you a couple more shots.If it's the smaller piece in the lower left your talking about then it's brass as you can see in the pics. the two different colors.The smaller piece has a whiteish look cause brass is a mix of zinc & copper so the zinc is giving that look.If it the other type then it is bronze,all bronze items I dig or find always have the dark smooth chocolate look as it's made from copper & tin & always for me comes up or out holding up & looking better even when it's older (my spoon mold is a good example of that).The last pic. will be some iron type just to show you they get bigger.
Take Care,
Pete
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/148935-rare-16th-century-spoon-mold-find.html

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, that is exactly the type of lead we are finding in our field. I have dug around 25lbs of lead so far, and I'm sure my digging partner has dug as much. This is a great thread. At some point, I will post some of the bronze nails I have been digging. Man, they sound so good when you get the coil over one. The kind we are finding are thick and 4 to 5 inches in length, though many have been bent by the plow.

-Buckles

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread