North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a "What is it?" today.

Larson,
Tounge depresser and ear wax remover.

The big one looks like the remains of a billet. Lots of dents and use. The small flattened one kind of looks like a bone wedge or spacer. It's an interesting piece though. Don't think I've ever found anything that shows that kind of use.
Here's a bone "whatever" I found that has stimmied me for years too.
Thanks for showing. Lone Star

Attachments

• Laguna,Tx EA05.JPG
    Laguna,Tx EA05.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 650
  • Laguna,Tx EA05.JPG
    Laguna,Tx EA05.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 644

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

T witko, Sorry I didn't see your handle at the post. I appologize to you for the misdirected rely. Lone Star

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010

This one has me scratching my head :icon_scratch: the bigger piece I agree is prob. is a billet ???, I am not sure about the smaller piece :dontknow:. Lone Star that piece is really a head scratcher for sure :icon_scratch:.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other

Lone Star said:
T witko, Sorry I didn't see your handle at the post. I appologize to you for the misdirected rely. Lone Star
No problem Lone Star, you can confuse me with larson1951 anytime.

and

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on "what" it might be.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fellas, It just dawned on me. If you had an atlatl (or any hafted large tool like a spade or axe) and the weight (or blade ) was getting shaky from use, you could implement a spacer with additional hafting, to eliminate removal and re-setting the implement. Kind of a repair on the fly. When a modern hammer or axe gets loose from use , we do the same thing. Only now we use a metal wedge.

Just an idea. Lone Star

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

Lone Star, from the picture yours looks like half of a pelvis from a small animal or something like that. It very well could have some work on it that altered the final shape. Here is a picture from a raccoon.
376x282_RaccoonSkel.jpg

Lone Star said:
Larson,
Tounge depresser and ear wax remover.

The big one looks like the remains of a billet. Lots of dents and use. The small flattened one kind of looks like a bone wedge or spacer. It's an interesting piece though. Don't think I've ever found anything that shows that kind of use.
Here's a bone "whatever" I found that has stimmied me for years too.
Thanks for showing. Lone Star

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Josh and friends, That weird bone came up from about 6-7 feet in the strata that had montells, and castrovilles. (Laguna, Tx. TAAA dig) I can't believe something that dainty survived in that soil enviornment. Bison ribs and bones didn't fair as well. Between the lime encrustation and the age, its a wonder. I still think it was an earwax tool !!!! Thanks Lone Star

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

Lone Star said:
Josh and friends, That weird bone came up from about 6-7 feet in the strata that had montells, and castrovilles. (Laguna, Tx. TAAA dig) I can't believe something that dainty survived in that soil enviornment. Bison ribs and bones didn't fair as well. Between the lime encrustation and the age, its a wonder. I still think it was an earwax tool !!!! Thanks Lone Star

Some useless information, but I read a boring article one time on earwax and implications on how Asia and the new world were settled in paleo times.

East Asians (Japanese, some Chinese, and Koreans) have dry powdery earwax as did most Native American groups. The rest of the world has wet earwax (if q-tips work, you have wet wax.)

There is a single gene that affects the type of wax, and it is a mutation that dates back around 35,000 years. It is older than the gene combination that creates the epicanthic fold (Asian eyes.) The basic theory of the paper was that if you lined up the dates of the earwax gene, the dates when the land bridge was open, and the date the epicanthic fold (asian eyes) gene combination became dominant, you might be able to say that they had to come over during this land bridge (eg Be able to say they had to come across 30,000 years ago because it's the only combination that had an open bridge, had dry wax, and not yet have epicanthic folds.) It turned out that later research pegged the eye fold to be surprisingly recent, so it left too many possibilities.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

Your long bone with the groove is most likely a side knife handle ; the chert biface in the picture with it (with the one straight side) might have fit into it.

It is not a billet, for the simple reason that antler billets are a twentieth-century supposition that has essentially no support in the archaeological record.

http://www.antlerdrift.blogspot.com/

Cheers & Regards

moah4me

Aug 24, 2011
caledonia new york
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

The small one with the notch is definitely a trigger to a deadfall trap no idea on the other stuff great findds keep up the good work

Moah

wilycreek

Greenie
May 30, 2009
Bushwacker County MO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I think the small polished piece with a notch might be a toggle. Many indians carried a cup or noggin by use of a toggle in the belt. This would also explain the amount of polish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread