Found a WWI Era Great Seal of the U.S. Military Button!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a really cool button today. It's a WWI era military button with the Great Seal of the U.S. on it. It has "Horstmann" and "Phila" on the back. The back is missing the shank and flattened, but the front cleaned up really nice with a warm hydrogen peroxide bath.

Here's a few pics:

button front dirty.JPG button front clean.JPG button back dirty.JPG button back clean.JPG button front clean cropped.JPG

Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Tim! Love the military buttons. Wish there were more here in Maine

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Tim! Love the military buttons. Wish there were more here in Maine

Thanks! This is only the second military button I've ever found. I also found a WWII cuff button last year and that's been it. There should be a ton of military buttons around here, but I haven't had much luck finding them! HH!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
way cool button, congrats

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, dirtlooter! I thought it was a WWII button at first, so it was a really nice surprise when I realized it was from WWI. Not rare or valuable, but still a neat find.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, cleaned up really well Tim!

Thanks! I never have any luck cleaning up the flat buttons I find, but at least this button came out nice.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! This is only the second military button I've ever found. I also found a WWII cuff button last year and that's been it. There should be a ton of military buttons around here, but I haven't had much luck finding them! HH!
Well my friend I've only found the back of a military button. Civil war and the front was destroyed. I've been detecting for 9 months and have found over 20 old coppers pre 1850. 3 Spanish silvers and 1/2 of a damn military button :-) so that tells you just how tough they are to come across in my neck of the woods. Hope you find many more bud

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for 9 months and have found over 20 old coppers pre 1850. 3 Spanish silvers and 1/2 of a damn military button :-) so that tells you just how tough they are to come across in my neck of the woods. Hope you find many more bud

Wow, 20 pre-1850 coppers! I've found ONE, a pretty toasted 1817 large cent. I'd kill to find old coppers on a regular basis. I find a lot of musket balls and early 1800's buttons, but never find any coppers with them. Very strange...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, 20 pre-1850 coppers! I've found ONE, a pretty toasted 1817 large cent. I'd kill to find old coppers on a regular basis. I find a lot of musket balls and early 1800's buttons, but never find any coppers with them. Very strange...
I in contrast don't find all that many buttons. Very strange. But I think I have put myself in a lot of areas that the majority of people wouldn't bother with. A lot of my success has come at very remote, hard to get to sites

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see an interesting thing there. I have found several big coppers but no buttons with them too. Odd...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread