Found abondoned town, i think

coinhound1983

Aug 22, 2012
Hi, wasn't sure where to post this, but looking at satellite imagery and asking some old timers, I think I found an abondoned and destroyed town of wadesboro. It's in tangipahoa parish in SE louisiana and I'm told was destroyed by a hurricane sometime in the teens. If anyone can help with some insight on this town it would be much appreciated. I know this post in likely not in the correct location but gets the most exposure. I will be doing a recon of the area today and maybe some dousing after I can confirm that is the location. Thnx all

Upvote 2
Can't help with any information, but it certainly sounds like an exciting adveture lies in store. Keep us updated, and good luck!

America is full of abandon towns or old homesteads.... Just get that metal detector out and start searching !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

Just stop by the Louisiana Treasures Museum & talk with Wayne. He'll tell you more history of Wadeboro than what you'll find on the www. I was always told it was a community.

Ponchatoula was established in 1820 and Incorporated February 12, 1861 in the Parish of Livingston during the period that Louisiana was an independent nation. Ponchatoula, originally a logging camp, had no name and only one road connected it with Wadesboro, the river shipping point. Virgin pine, cypress, and oak trees were cut and hauled by ox teams to Wadesboro, there hand-hewn into pickets, shingles, barrel staves, sills, and mast poles for sailing vessels. The hand finished product was sold in New Orleans on the lake docks. The road that connected the logging camp with Wadesboro was part of the Old Spanish Trail from Florida. The trail followed the high ground around lake Pontchartrain through the logging camp to Springfield - one branch going to Baton Rouge, the other to Natchez, Mississippi. The Natchez branch was known as King's Highway.

Let me know when you plan to detect some areas...I know Rosaryville is off limits.

Last edited:
I haven't found much about it I do know there is a Wadesboro Road and a Wadesboro cemetery. Those can give you a good starting point to research further. Good luck.

Cemetaries are always a good clue as to the history of a place...........you can estimate the age and population of an area from them.....

I found it on satellite imagery , need to cross 2 private lands then cross of say 100 meters of marsh then cross a man dug canal.. But who knows once I get there.. Also I haven't been getting any notifications on my thread. Weird

River rat I know I found it but I dare not break that type of brush this time of year!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back