Found an 1817 Large Cent Today! Should I Clean it?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an 1817 Large Cent this morning! Beat my oldest coin by 86 years! It was only five inches down. It was a crisp 34 degrees and the ground was muddy from a recent storm that gave us two inches of rain. I felt like an idiot digging in this weather, but I guess it was a smart decision after all!

Now the important question. Do you guys think cleaning it in warm hydrogen peroxide will improve the look of the coin or should I just leave it alone? Please give me your opinions on what I should do. Thanks!

DSC02240.JPG DSC02243.JPG

Upvote 6

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice LC! Glad you can read the date. Can't read the date on mine. You were out having fun! Who cares what people think! You don't need their permission to have fun. Congrats on getting out, I couldn't.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary, thanks! I think I'll try it later tonight and keep a very close eye on it.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Msbeepbeep, thanks! You are 100% correct. I was having fun, so that's all that really matters. Metal detecting in the cold is much better than being at the mall and getting pushed around by the crazy shoppers!

lil_eric30

Aug 14, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Yup I agree with the warm peroxide method! Should come out looking great! Please post picture when u get it cleaned!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lil eric30, Okay, that's two posters who agree to clean it, so I'll give it a shot later this evening. I'll post the pics, good or bad. Thanks for the input!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks great to me just the way it is

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Warm hp for me seems to make the coins look dry. Be careful as the edges look to be flaking on your coin. Nice find!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the edges are flaking. Should I still try to clean it? How about rubbing it with vaseline? Would that be a better way to go? More opinions are needed ASAP!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find ! I don't think I'd clean it - with the coin in that condition , I really don't think you'll improve the look .

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What have you done to it to get it to the point in the pic so far? Running warm water over it and using a soft bristle toothbrush may be the way to go if you haven't gone that far yet. Congrats to you. I have 4 or 5 old coppers that I just can't get a complete date from.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude, Thanks! The only thing I've done so far is exactly what you said to do. I ran it under warm water and used a soft bristled toothbrush. I only scrubbed the center and avoided the edges, since I could see that they were flaking a bit. I guess I should just leave it alone for now.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium, Thanks! I will leave it alone for tonight. I think i'll buy some hydrogen peroxide and experiment with some of my grungy wheat and memorial cents that are flaking as well. That should help me to decide if cleaning it will improve the coin or not.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you gain experience in metal detecting. You will learn how to know when to clean and when not to. Judging from the comments you already show a great deal of insight to that. I don't put my coppers/nickels under a different source of water other than from the water they came in contact with before I found them. They tend to change funny colors when you do that... I let the coins dry and i use a soft bristle brush and gently brush away the dry dirt. If this won't work on some of the stubborn dirt, I may try a peroxide bath or distilled water. I'd avoid rubbing things on the coins, it can be appealing to some but not everyone. If done incorrect it will also decrease the value. Like I said as you go you'll get a better idea what to do and what not to do. Great coin, by the way !!

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD (S.W.A.T), Thanks! I'm happy with it the way it is, but the main reason I want to clean it up is to get more detail. As it is now, I can't even tell if it's a 13 star LC or a 15 star!

I just don't want the date to disappear if I clean it with hydrogen peroxide. That's the only thing that's keeping me from cleaning it. The flaking on the edge probably means the top layer might come off if I clean it. Not sure how much detail will be gained (or lost) if the top layer is gone.

I will do nothing right now and go and look for another one tomorrow morning! Should be around 30 degrees when I go! I sure hope the ground there is still muddy and not frozen!

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A coin dealer will say no.. period. I personally hate coin dealers but theres no harm in leaving it the way it is for a while. Dont start putting crap on it or soaking it in stuff cuz people tell u to and youre excited to do something. leave it the way it is til uve done thorough research.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
BEAUTIFUL MELLOW COIN! :occasion16::wav::occasion16:

Best not to do anything to it now. Your coin is approaching it's 200 year birthday and may well have been underground most of that time. So give yourself a year or two of enjoying it as is, then make your decision.
Once cleaned, you can't go backwards. No hurry needed! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread