All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would need to see a picture in order to determine it's value and grade. Nice find, my oldest dime found in a roll was from 1917.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Nice find jasonscoins!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on quality they are going for $10-15 in eBay for the poorer grade-

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find by the way- do you rim search? And if so how did you tell it? It doesn't have the silver rim does it? Did it still stand out some other way?

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do rim search, but then I give a quick glance at each coin. I didn't notice it on the rim search. Just saw it sitting there in all its glory when the roll spilled out. I still can't believe that thing is almost 140 years old and was in circulation. Surely it had to have been kept away for a number of years and then reintroduced recently. Coin doesn't seem as thick as a normal dime, but I assume that is from all the wear over the years. I also checked the back and it has a CC (Carson City) mint mark, which supposedly adds to the value. I would post a pic, but I'm not technically savy enough to do that. Sorry. Any other info on this coin or one similar would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else ever found one of these in a standard coin roll? BTW -- this was a factory roll, not a customer roll.

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it all depends on condition, which one looks the most like your coin?

This one sold for $11:
1876 CC Seated Liberty Half Lot 37 | eBay

This one sold for $22:
Great Estate Find 1876 CC Nice Grade "Better Date" Seated Liberty Quarter | eBay

This one sold for $45:
1876 CC Seated Liberty Dime Nice Carson City Coin Popular Date Choice XF | eBay

And some will sell for more depending on condition.

Its definitely nice than the first one. All the letters at the top "United States of America" are clearly visible. The back is worn more than the front. I'd say it's probably around the quality of the second one, maybe a bit less, but I'm not sure.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do rim search, but then I give a quick glance at each coin. I didn't notice it on the rim search. Just saw it sitting there in all its glory when the roll spilled out. I still can't believe that thing is almost 140 years old and was in circulation. Surely it had to have been kept away for a number of years and then reintroduced recently. Coin doesn't seem as thick as a normal dime, but I assume that is from all the wear over the years. I also checked the back and it has a CC (Carson City) mint mark, which supposedly adds to the value. I would post a pic, but I'm not technically savy enough to do that. Sorry. Any other info on this coin or one similar would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else ever found one of these in a standard coin roll? BTW -- this was a factory roll, not a customer roll.

Hey Jason, great score! It is 90% and you should normally be able to pick it out rim searching. It's very typical for dimes that old to be worn very thin. I remember someone talking about having 50 barber dimes in a tube and it only being 2/3 full because of all the wear. If you are posting from a smart phone, get the tnet app and its pretty easy to post pics. I have an 1864 dime that I bought years ago and it's very thin like yours. My oldest dime is a merc. Still need a dime haircut and don't really expect to get as lucky as you did on the seated liberty but coin hunting you just never know what might pop up. Again, great score and congrats. HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! My oldest is a 1900 Victoria Canadian, found in cwr. All my good stuff comes from machine-wrapped though, especially mercury dimes and silver Canadians, and Barbers.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Centinial dime,cool.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a similar Seated CC Dime sometime last year from MWR's out of a Brinks box, in excellent condition but with one scratch across the shield. Congrats on the nice find, and yes, it should be SILVER according to the U S RED BOOK. Here's a pic of mine (sorry for blurry image, from iPod)

image-1187356973.jpg

image-3300807275.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread