Found an Indian Axe Head today

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out hunting for indian artifacts in a local farm field that had been plowed recently with Lee and Larry.

I think I am getting on their nerves with all of these finds recently ;)

It measures about 6" even though it has been broken. Full groove on it. It's a shame, but I'll take it any day of the week! :)

12-14-06-axe.JPG

12-14-06-axe2.JPG

12-14-06-axe3.JPG

Upvote 0

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
Awesome find !!! Was the field you found that in a place where you have found other indian artifacts ???

Way to GO !!!

Mark (a.k.a. ivy_walls)

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivy_walls said:
Awesome find !!! Was the field you found that in a place where you have found other indian artifacts ???

Way to GO !!!

Mark (a.k.a. ivy_walls)

This is actually my first time to ever go hunting for indian relics. My friends were metal detecting a field where a school once was in the late 1800s. Then the farmer came over and said that if they were interested in indian items that they should go hunt a few hills that are on his property that he farms. And then he showed them what he found there over the years and I guess his collection was pretty amazing. Large axe heads like mine fully intact, large arrowheads, etc. He had plowed recently and this nice one was just laying on top of the ground.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got this little town near me that was full of Indian's back in the day on the river....Just started this year lookin' for the same stuff....Awesome find!!!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats a great find, broken or not. way to go!

P

pickaway

Excellent. Keep looking theres a whole 1 there somewhere.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian...awesome find, gotta love the ones you find right on top of the ground. Hit that place hard....some of those old indian relics are worht big bucks!!! Congrats!!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Congrats, my first attempt at Indian artifacts I was with a buddy on his 1850 farm metal detecting and not finding much when he starts telling me about the artifacts they found in the fields growing up. We walked out into the field and in a few minutes I found a nice black flint drill in excellent shape. He says, " You don't plan on keeping it, do you?" I said that was my intention and he laughed and said he was kidding. I'll dig for artifacts, coins, tokens, gold, gemstones, bottles and even flat top and cone top beer cans. It's amazing how well old cans clean up in a mild acid bath.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BSC it's still a nice find. You never know what you will find in those fields after they are plowed and it rains. I have pull a lot of artifacts out of plowed fields after a rain and you can't help but wonder how they survived the plowing all those years.

Here is a post on another thread that shows a few of my pieces.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,60535.msg434903.html#msg434903

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find, Brian. ;D Yep, freshly plowed fields and rain makes finding them easier. Hope you are able to find more.

;) RR

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Great find. Broken or not that is one fine piece. Congratulations Brian, I might have to come over your way. Actually hunting all my great detecting sites over my way, I've had little time to arrowhead hunt. I gotta do that before winter sets in.

Again, nice find.

HH,Ringfinder

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool melon masher :o ;D

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's an awesome indian artifact. Looks to be well made to. Them indians knew what they were doing.

HH Jer

S

stefen

Nice find.

Its intriguing how many hours or days it must have taken to shape the tool knowing how hard some of those rocks are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread