New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The badge says, on one side, "Cape May Point N. J. to Philadelphia via W.J.R.R. 22" On the other side it says, "Philadelphia to Cape May Point N. J. via W.J.R.R. 22"
Here is a link about the railroad, could this had been a metal round trip ticket? You never know what is going to come out of that ground. The other amazing thing is the spot where I found it. I don't want to give up the spot, just very interesting how this could have ended up at this spot, it was about 12 inches deep.

Cape May Railroad

I also found 1.25 in clad and three Wheats, the dates on the Wheats were 1925, 1939, and 1951. The 1925 is in nice shape, might be worth a few bucks.
Thanks for looking and HH

Upvote 3

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tag, Congrats !

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool find!! I love old tags like that!
HH

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, i hunt with the 250 myself.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
West Jersey Rail Road baggage tag

Phil. Pa to the Cape May , NJ , back in the 1940's

est. cost was around 2 USD one way .

WJRR closed in 1950

CMDdawg :skullflag:

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, as CMDD said it's called a baggage or luggage tag. They used metal tags back in the day -- one on the bag and one to the customer to you could claim your luggage. These have been replaced by paper. There are a couple good on-line sites that will tell you about the rarity of your tag. The maker should be above the slot. If you search my posts I found one back in the winter. It's a great find and not terribly common.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little more info, like Eric said and I didn't see the manufacturer was a company called, "Hoole MFG, New York" Here is a link to that.
Baggage Check Makers n Daters
I still am having trouble trying to put a price tag on the baggage tag, I probably wouldn't sell it anyhow.
Thanks again guys for your kind words and help in info on my find, still say this is better then a slot machine, I don't have to put in money every time I dig a signal and you never know what is coming out of that hole.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions