Found an Old Pocketwatch

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did an old corner of an old town here on Long Island this weekend, and came up with this cool brass(?) pocketwatch.

Not sure when it was made, but it's from The E. Ingraham Company in Bristol Connecticut, and the patent says 1907.

What are those graduations on the back from S |||||||||||| E ? Is that to get a compass bearing?

IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4818.JPG IMG_4820.JPG

Upvote 21

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think there was a lever that you could adjust the speed a little.. if the watch was a little fast or slow

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find shakakka, those are always fun to dig! I bet it was silver plated judging from what's left..but I could be wrong. Congrats..Ddf

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Time Goes So Fast!

The Scale is a Regulator "S" Slow to "F" Fast.
It is used to adjust the speed of the Watch.
The speed may have to be adjusted due to Atmosphere and Temperature.

Watch Regulator.JPG

Which way to turn the regulator?

Turning the disc rotates the snail cam which causes the lever to move, but at first glance the letters "F" and "S" might not show clearly which way to turn the cam. This is easy to work out by remembering that moving the curb pins towards the stud makes the free part of the balance spring longer and the watch run slower, and moving the curb pins away from the stud has the opposite effect. Looking at the red arrows in the picture you can see that turning the adjuster counter-clockwise towards the "F" causes the snail cam to move the regulator lever towards the spring, which moves the curb pins away from the stud, making the effective length of the balance spring shorter and the watch run faster. The marks on the disc are simply there for visual reference, they are not calibrated and variations in timing are done by experiment, moving the lever slightly and seeing how much effect this has on the timekeeping, usually with the aid of a timing machine.

OP
OP
Shakakka

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool, thanks for the info! While I'm no watch expert, I'm pretty sure this thing is past adjustment at this point. :tongue3:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat Find.
I have still only dug pieces of Pocket Watch, Hope my First is GOLD or Silver but I will gladly take brass.
Thanks for posting.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a very nice relic!!!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the watch Shakakka if you choose to, Reason? After all these years detecting, I may have dug a dozen or two, sometimes just the outer rim, all of them "Toasted", but, had I kept them all, and cleaned them up as well as I could, what a VERY cool display say in a frame they would of made. Each one of course, if they could talk, might of had a fine story to tell. Pocket watches were personal items, and any and all displayed together, would of made for a really good "Show & Tell" item.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure that made your day. Thanks for sharing.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Which way to turn the regulator?

Turning the disc rotates the snail cam which causes the lever to move, but at first glance the letters "F" and "S" might not show clearly which way to turn the cam. This is easy to work out by remembering that moving the curb pins towards the stud makes the free part of the balance spring longer and the watch run slower, and moving the curb pins away from the stud has the opposite effect. Looking at the red arrows in the picture you can see that turning the adjuster counter-clockwise towards the "F" causes the snail cam to move the regulator lever towards the spring, which moves the curb pins away from the stud, making the effective length of the balance spring shorter and the watch run faster. The marks on the disc are simply there for visual reference, they are not calibrated and variations in timing are done by experiment, moving the lever slightly and seeing how much effect this has on the timekeeping, usually with the aid of a timing machine.

That's why I enjoy this site! It's always sooo educational! Thanks for that info!

Now, if I can just knock the rust off my mainspring.....:tongue3:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my grandfather worked on the railroad for 30 plus years, he always wore overalls and always had his pocket watch attached and hidden in its place. between them and his hat and red wing boots, He was a bigger than life man to me. love pocket watches and still looking for my first one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread