Found an unknown dollar coin today (unknown to me)

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in the water never knew they even existed till today

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Upvote 2

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Susan B. Anthony Dollar - with the exception of the gold dollars , It was the first of the small sized dollar coins in the U.S. - it followed the
Eisenhower dollar in the progression of nauseating base metal "dollar" coins . Argentium.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Susan B Anthony silver dollar, came after the IKE. They made 'em for a year or two, but old people kept confusing them with quarters so they stopped only to make that hideously ugly coin with the ugly Indian woman on it. They should have used the English 1-pound coin as a model, but then again all our
coins are disgusting compared to what they used to be. Bring back the Barbers and IH cents and buf nickels!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good for being in the water.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik in NJ said:
Susan B Anthony silver dollar, came after the IKE. They made 'em for a year or two, but old people kept confusing them with quarters so they stopped only to make that hideously ugly coin with the ugly Indian woman on it. They should have used the English 1-pound coin as a model, but then again all our
coins are disgusting compared to what they used to be. Bring back the Barbers and IH cents and buf nickels!!

I agree bring em back

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matt092079 said:
Looks good for being in the water.

It was a lil black but cleaned up real good

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking coin.

Bet it gave off an undeniable "Hey I'm right here" shout threw the headphones.

:)

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JanThorCro said:
Nice looking coin.

Bet it gave off an undeniable "Hey I'm right here" shout threw the headphones.

:)

It sure did very loud and clear I thought it was a quarter at first

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, I got two of those in change in the place of quarters. I thought they were quarters too until I threw them in the change bucket and noticed that they did not look right. I don't really care for the retro looking coins that have recently been made

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to keep every one I got when I was a kid....dont know where they went?I dont park hunt but the one time I did I found five in a spill

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in the water never knew they even existed till today

Oh yeah! I remember those! They're called double eagles. There's a beak on the back and one on the front. ;)

I wish these cheap, base metal, imitations of real money would catch on! I would love to find as many of these as I do clad quarters. :)

By the way, what happened to the "next crop"? It started out good but fizzled! :dontknow:

Wah-hoppened?!? :dontknow:

HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you put paper money into the turnstiles in Hoboken to go on the Path system you get the SBA coins and the ugly golden dollar coins as change. The woman on the Sackajeweya (sp?) coins is butt ugly.....I'm glad they stopped making those ugly coins. Let's put some class back into our coinage. I'd love to see "liberty" and not some dead Presidents on my coins. The older coins we had exuded class....the current ones are just plain ungainly!

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND said:
Oh yeah! I remember those! They're called double eagles. There's a beak on the back and one on the front. ;)

I wish these cheap, base metal, imitations of real money would catch on! I would love to find as many of these as I do clad quarters. :)

By the way, what happened to the "next crop"? It started out good but fizzled! :dontknow:

Wah-hoppened?!? :dontknow:

HH!
Must of been a short growing season

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years ago, I got two of those in change in the place of quarters. I thought they were quarters too until I threw them in the change bucket and noticed that they did not look right. I don't really care for the retro looking coins that have recently been made

I don't usually either... but I really like the new shield pennies!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread