Found ancient river channel :)

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So guys I found this ancient river channel...well what I think is one.

IMG_20140511_153700.jpg

Knowing that ancient river channels can contain massive gold deposits, I tried to dig some of the gravel but it was rock hard.
I ended up just taking some of the loose gravel but only about 1/3 of a bucket.

I didn't classify on site and ran the gravel today after classifying down to -30
This is what I recovered... some Gold, Silver and mercury.
IMG_20140512_191123.jpg

I think it's good considering the amount of material.
I'm going to go back up there and bring back 5 classified buckets to run. Not going to be the best sample.
If it's good then I will need to figure out the path of the channel and start claiming up land like crazy!
I'll also need to figure out a water source...
And most importantly...Funding!!!
It sucks to be poor.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool...see if you can find a spot where a creek cuts through this stuff, that'll be your bonanza! Even lacking that feature you are onto a solid opportunity!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed! Being this is a high desert location water will be a issue. There may be a seasonal creek near by, but I need to get my feet on the ground and scout the area more. I was just out of time yesterday on my way back from dredging. I sure hope this is a turning point in my life!

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find. But I am curious as to why an ancient riverbed would have mercury. So the possibility of it being something other than mercury is quite likely.

Bejay

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like tailing pile materials as natural mercury contamination is quite rare,except very few places such as NF of the EF trinity,then everything covered as cinnabar oozing all over-John-John

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first thought was tailings but if you zoom in on the pic, the rocks are just to neatly packed in verses just randomly tossed like tailings. The nearest placer mining area is 20 miles away.
The silvery stuff was mainly one large flake but broke when pressure was applied to it. I'm no expert by any means but I assume it's silver.
I looked at everything under close magnification and moved it around with a toothpick and I don't think it's mercury as it wasn't binding with the gold or silver. Maybe it's electrum. If you look at the pic I posted you can see the gold and silver together.
IDK...
I'm no expert...

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Correct...the gravels are sorted. Unlike tailing piles and slide material (including some glacial deposits) that are unsorted. Remember silver tarnishes.

Bejay

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metals don't break under pressure, the deform (bend, flatten, etc) so whatever the silver bit is, it's not a metal like silver or gold. If it's heavy keep it but not in your gold vial. A "high n dry" deposit such as you've found is the hardest to work but that's why the prospectors back in the day walked away and left it for you! I also agree that the material does not look like a tailings deposit to me, I think you have a real virgin placer there :)

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If had the budget, this is the way for a small op to tackle cemented river channels

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree does not look like tailings!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a brand new product out that may solve your problem of compacted gravels, depending on a water source within reach. Its called a "Little Giant" and
works on the high-pressure fire hose concept. If you send me a down payment, I can promise delivery. Hurry, as they are selling out !!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have considered renting a small backhoe or mini exevator from home depot Kubota BX25 Tractor Loader Backhoe Rental | Tractor Loader Backhoe | Compact Power Equipment Rental or TC16 Mini Excavator Rental | Mini-Excavator | Compact Power Equipment Rental
Not sure if it will have the power to break it up and 250 bucks is more then I can afford...but if it will bust it up I could possibly stockpile some of the gravel for processing...my primary goal would be bedrock and the beautiful bounty it would hold...
For now I have champagne taste on a schaefer beer budget. Pick and shovel will be my tools of the trade... I was going to dig a few sample holes on the back side of the hill but I think it will just be one single hole as deep as I can go in a day. If the single sample is good then I may try to come up with the money to rent some equipment. Don't really know the best way to sample on my zero budget.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good question! I'm making a guess of 15' or so based on the surroundings. Bed rock is exposed all over the place in this area...wont know 'till I start digging.

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
I've taken a sample from the same place and come up with nothing. It's definitely not a tailing pile. They did mine that creek back in the day that runs by it. I actually found a little gold, an old shovel and pick head further up stream from there.

image-3299248305.jpg

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice display!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions