Found! and then....Found Again!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
This is the story of discoveries rediscovered after a few years of lying dormant. Every year of detecting I find lots of coins at all the old sites, some are in better shape than others, the better ones go straight into my collection and the lesser condition ones go into the coin jars!
The coin jars have been piling up for about fifteen years now and there's plenty of known coins in them and there were also some that were yet to be identified. Some were in just poor shape and corroded to no value; however some were just not appreciated for what they really were!
I spent an afternoon the other day with Iron Patch and sifted through the jars. It was sort of like coin roll hunting except it had a relic hunters twist to it... coin jar hunting! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455470975.061535.jpg
Plenty to look through!
Hundreds of coins, tokens, and what nots!
I pulled out some winners that will make their way to the proper place in my collection.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471195.026990.jpg
Just a few of the winners!
A counterfeit George lll farthing, a single year issue Bermuda penny 1793 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471314.750869.jpg
a Irish token from 1816
Edward Stephens penny
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471375.899231.jpg
a Scottish bawbee! I found this one at an old Acadian site from the early 1700s
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471456.801042.jpg
And another which I believe to be a Charlesll farthing, not much left on it, the 22 mm disc with the bust and the closest match was this.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471564.200917.jpg
Now there was more but I'll save some of them for another cold wintery day to post up!
We always thought that there was a chance that we could have found rare blacksmith tokens in our many years of detecting; well, the answer is yes!
I was able to pull out a few with very surprising results!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471750.098907.jpg
A pair of Bitit blacksmith tokens! Fairly common I guess but still cool as hell!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471834.232671.jpg
And! The clear winner for sure!
A JB Warehouse blacksmith token!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455471894.995783.jpg
Some of you may recall Iron Patch finding and posting one he found this past fall. I believe mine was found in 2013, I have no idea where or when but if I did I will be heading back there looking for more!
It was so much fun revisiting these old finds again and reliving some of the awesome memories of digging up that stuff!
Next, the button piles!! lol

Upvote 34
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow good stuff I also have jars and jars of coins I wont miss good coins maybe on out of thousands I always know what I have found . I really like your unnoticed coins Sweet!!!

There's always good fun in looking over the overlooked finds!
Some of the stuff I didn't even know about years ago when I began detecting went in there, now that I've learned so much more it brings all that stuff into perspective now!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good fun, re-discovering. Those Charles II farthings 1670s are so common over here, I can tell a blank one straight away, mostly colour & size.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And here I was thinking that this is going to be another I found it dropped it and found it again story?

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Good fun, re-discovering. Those Charles II farthings 1670s are so common over here, I can tell a blank one straight away, mostly colour & size.

Farthings in general are not common at all for us, let alone one that old!

It's things like the pre-confederation tokens and our large cents that jump out for me, the uncommon finds are the ones that interest me the most!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing number of "junk" coppers. Most of them I'm sure would be in my display cases. The JB Warehouse blacksmith token is awesome. BTW I dug one of those Bermuda coppers here in Pennsylvania.. I read somewhere they estimated only 90 still in existence.

Attachments

• Bermuda Copper B2-small.jpg
    Bermuda Copper B2-small.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Bermuda Copper F2-small.jpg
    Bermuda Copper F2-small.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 72

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great way to pass the time and find some goodies at the same time that was missed the first time around...Copper road was certainly good to you guys over the years!!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That is an amazing number of "junk" coppers. Most of them I'm sure would be in my display cases. The JB Warehouse blacksmith token is awesome. BTW I dug one of those Bermuda coppers here in Pennsylvania.. I read somewhere they estimated only 90 still in existence.

Well junk may just be a relative term, but to me they are all as valuable as the next and they are still cherished.

Only 90 of the Bermuda pennies left!
That sure is an eye opener too! Thanks for that info! I'll be checking further into that too!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great way to pass the time and find some goodies at the same time that was missed the first time around...Copper road was certainly good to you guys over the years!!

The copper trail has been very kind!

But you know, the blacksmith tokens did to me exactly what they were meant to do to the unsuspecting person that received them two centuries ago, it got past them and it got past me!

Mine isn't going to end up in a field again if I can help it!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well junk may just be a relative term, but to me they are all as valuable as the next and they are still cherished.

Only 90 of the Bermuda pennies left!
That sure is an eye opener too! Thanks for that info! I'll be checking further into that too!
Here is where I got the 90 existing specimens from
The Bermuda Copper of 1793 - Introduction

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That gave me a serious case of junk jar envy! ....but it was way more fun and exciting than I had imagined when I suggested it.

I knew that George III bust, just could not place it. When I went to my computer I was just ruling out VA halfpenny because I knew it was something familiar... but it's familiar from several years ago when I had a few Bermuda pennies.

Later that day when I sent the pics from my phone to my pc I actually checked that unknown to a Charles II Farthing. To me the right side didn't seem like a match, and I've held a Charles II Farthing well over a 100 times and your coin just doesn't seem right to be that. So my gut feeling is it's something different and pretty obscure for a detecting find here.

Sure made for a good Winter post!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is where I got the 90 existing specimens from
The Bermuda Copper of 1793 - Introduction

I think that's meant to read he based his study on 90 coins and not that only 90 exist. The price and easy availability does not suggest a coin with only 90 examples remaining of 72,000+ that were minted.

"His preliminary census documents 90 extant specimens."

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know exactly what you mean, and this coin didn't have that feel to me. It was thin with a lot of corrosion so that could account for why it doesn't seem right. Would be the first Charles II I know of being dug anywhere around here... but obviously it's very possible.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's meant to read he based his study on 90 coins and not that only 90 exist. The price and easy availability does not suggest a coin with only 90 examples remaining of 72,000+ that were minted.

.I interpreted as census of the existing population.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.I interpreted as census of the existing population.

If you find out let us know. Just seems like too many always floating around to be only 90 known. They do seem to fetch quite a bit more than 5-10 years ago, not that it has anything to do with this debate.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find out let us know. Just seems like too many always floating around to be only 90 known. They do seem to fetch quite a bit more than 5-10 years ago, not that it has anything to do with this debate.

He may not have been looking in the right places when he took his census. But there is no doubt what they are saying in the article:

extant

adjective1.in existence; still existing; not destroyed or lost:There are only three extant copies of the document.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have to store my unknown colonial coppers in a single shot glass. :laughing7: Awesome post and glad you guys had a good time rediscovering old finds. As I always learn more, I can spot something good that got tossed into one of my storage box's in the past. It's a great way to pass a winter day.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I'd have to store my unknown colonial coppers in a single shot glass. :laughing7: Awesome post and glad you guys had a good time rediscovering old finds. As I always learn more, I can spot something good that got tossed into one of my storage box's in the past. It's a great way to pass a winter day.

You know it! It was a really good time!
If I can't go out digging in the ground, digging through some old coins will have to do!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That gave me a serious case of junk jar envy! ....but it was way more fun and exciting than I had imagined when I suggested it.

I knew that George III bust, just could not place it. When I went to my computer I was just ruling out VA halfpenny because I knew it was something familiar... but it's familiar from several years ago when I had a few Bermuda pennies.

Later that day when I sent the pics from my phone to my pc I actually checked that unknown to a Charles II Farthing. To me the right side didn't seem like a match, and I've held a Charles II Farthing well over a 100 times and your coin just doesn't seem right to be that. So my gut feeling is it's something different and pretty obscure for a detecting find here.

Sure made for a good Winter post!

The Bermuda penny was a pleasant surprise and the history behind is pretty good too!
From Steve's link it says they all left the island very quickly , I'm just glad one made its way to here!

I have to tell you, I looked at a lot of coins to try and place the disc I was sure was a Charles ll, the size 22mm was right, and the bust was so close, wear and corrosion may have tricked me a bit; with so little to go on it was the closest probable id but if there's a better argument..I'm listening

But, for you , someone who has held one before, I would tend to trust your judgement

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions