Found Another Great Looking Pipe

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I just found my 4th Pipe in the last year and a half and it's another dandy. It's got a small nick out of the bowl, but other than that it is very nice and very nicely made. It is a fine grained sandstone that has been very highly polished and is very smooth. It is a yellowish sandstone with a nice reddish tint to it as you will see in the pictures. It also has a nice little groove cut into it that seperates the stem from the bowl. I made sure to clean it out over a bowl and the bottom of the bowl was full of a black burnt substance that I saved in a baggie. I'm going to give it to an Archy friend of mine as sson as I see him. I didn't find much else, but then who's complaining. lol

Enjoy the pictures. The first few are the in situs and the ones from the field and on my leg in the car. The other are after I cleaned it at home. I tried to get a picture down into the bowl and down the stem but I'm not sure if they turned out well enough to show up here. You can see the gouging inside the bowl to make it bigger and you can see where they drilled so far into the stem with one sixe and then went to a smaller size to finish the hole. If you look close you can just see the line inside the stem.

Attachments

• Pipe01.jpg
    Pipe01.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 2,492
  • Pipe02.jpg
    Pipe02.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 2,473
  • Pipe04.jpg
    Pipe04.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 2,435
  • Pipe05.jpg
    Pipe05.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 2,421
  • Pipe06.jpg
    Pipe06.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,396
  • Pipe20.jpg
    Pipe20.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 2,390
  • Pipe21.jpg
    Pipe21.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,375
  • Pipe13.jpg
    Pipe13.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 2,362
  • Pipe10.jpg
    Pipe10.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2,350
  • Pipe17.jpg
    Pipe17.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2,356
  • Pipe16.jpg
    Pipe16.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,324
  • Pipe22.jpg
    Pipe22.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,320
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Sheesh man! You are killing me! Really neat artifact. Congrats man.

Chuck

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Steve,, You did it again. You dont see many people finding pipes, and you my friend are all over it. I would give it a banner.... It has several votes and deserves to be up top. You and Lars just got me pumped up, I'm ready to leave the baby and do some huntN. I'm gonna ring the ole banner button for ya. Congrats..... John

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner Steve! :hello2: These are some great looking artifacts and believe that it's well justified in your pipe having made the banner.

This item was democratically voted on by the Treasurenet community as having enough historical interest to validate it's being posted on the banner. Does it really matter whether an object is found in the ground with a metal detector or with the naked eye?! The fact is that it was lost possibly hundreds of years ago and was honestly found and recovered by a person that has the fortitude to look down when they're walking instead of only straight ahead! :icon_thumright:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Oshawaman said:
Congratulations on making the banner Steve! :hello2: These are some great looking artifacts and believe that it's well justified in your pipe having made the banner.

This item was democratically voted on by the Treasurenet community as having enough historical interest to validate it's being posted on the banner. Does it really matter whether an object is found in the ground with a metal detector or with the naked eye?! The fact is that it was lost possibly hundreds of years ago and was honestly found and recovered by a person that has the fortitude to look down when they're walking instead of only straight ahead! :icon_thumright:
I'm getting kind tired of answers that sound rude an IG no rant when I ask why it is on the banner... No one EVER explains who made the item how rare they are or what makes it so special to be on the banner... if People can READ my post I said I have no clue why this is on the banner, Can someone please explain Not everyone knows about artifacts..so before you belittle someone for questioning a find maybe you should explain or at least ask why they are asking... Instead of assuming I am complaining cause it's not a detector find which ISN'T THE CASE... Maybe a lil patience an education about the find would be better then the answer above...

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
creeper71 said:
For the people like myself who have no clue why this is on the banner, Can someone please explain..... thank you

The item is a pipe that was made by the Fort Ancient culture which inhabited portions of the Ohio River Valley around Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, and some of Indiana. In regards to age of the artifact it's probably anywhere between 400 to 700 years old and used for the same reasons we use pipes today. As Steve said, it's made of fine grained sandstone and was formed by pecking with a harder rock, polishing, and drilling/gouging the stem and bowl holes. Sandstone was a common pipe making material in the later cultures becasue it was easy to work and somewhat durable.

If you google "Fort Ancient Culture" you can get a much better insight to who the people were that are making these kinds of pipes. There's all sorts of info available to someone who's interested in knowing more about them.

Hippy

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Hippy said:
creeper71 said:
For the people like myself who have no clue why this is on the banner, Can someone please explain..... thank you

The item is a pipe that was made by the Fort Ancient culture which inhabited portions of the Ohio River Valley around Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, and some of Indiana. In regards to age of the artifact it's probably anywhere between 400 to 700 years old and used for the same reasons we use pipes today. As Steve said, it's made of fine grained sandstone and was formed by pecking with a harder rock, polishing, and drilling/gouging the stem and bowl holes. Sandstone was a common pipe making material in the later cultures becasue it was easy to work and somewhat durable.

If you google "Fort Ancient Culture" you can get a much better insight to who the people were that are making these kinds of pipes. There's all sorts of info available to someone who's interested in knowing more about them.

Hippy
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me an others who read your post who had no clue about the item.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
I'm getting kind tired of answers that sound rude an IG no rant when I ask why it is on the banner... No one EVER explains who made the item how rare they are or what makes it so special to be on the banner... if People can READ my post I said I have no clue why this is on the banner, Can someone please explain Not everyone knows about artifacts..so before you belittle someone for questioning a find maybe you should explain or at least ask why they are asking... Instead of assuming I am complaining cause it's not a detector find which ISN'T THE CASE... Maybe a lil patience an education about the find would be better then the answer above...

[mod]There are Several posts here explaining
how the Banner works

one here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/banner
If link dossn't work, Hit
? on the banner

& even a how Not to get a banner from me :P

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,332933.msg2400369.html#new Of course Every Banner Report & Every
Item that makes it was put there for a reason,
But I Certainly Am not going to Explain Myself.
Too Time consuming.

If others wish to explain why they voted it
That's their prerogative.

& no I Am not trying to be rude, Just a bit Confused
by the Questioning Lately.

Which Definately dosn't belong in Finds Posts.[/mod]

Cool Pipe SRV !

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jeff of pa said:
creeper71 said:

There are Several posts here explaining
how the Banner works

one here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/banner
If link dossn't work, Hit
? on the banner

& even a how Not to get a banner from me :P

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,332933.msg2400369.html#new

Of course Every Banner Report & Every
Item that makes it was put there for a reason,
But I Certainly Am not going to Explain Myself.
Too Time consuming.

If others wish to explain why they voted it
That's their prerogative.

& no I Am not trying to be rude, Just a bit Confused
by the Questioning Lately.

Which Definately dosn't belong in Finds Posts.

Cool Pipe SRV !
I am not saying it should or shouldn't be on the banner Jeff... I was asking what makes it banner worthy.. I have zero knowledge of Indain artifacts... so to me an others who just look at banner finds an don't normally come into this forum it looks like a run of the mill old stone pipe.... So far HIPPY was the only person to explain what the item is an why it's so important.... Which I did thank him for his time for explaining....

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another wonderful piece of history saved :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the Banner , one question ? what determines whether that pipe is American Native or just a early settlers pipe :dontknow:
Great find Dd60

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
I am not saying it should or shouldn't be on the banner Jeff...

yea i understood that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread