Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2020
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
059920E0-FF56-4E70-9158-FDEC1F05228A.jpeg

I was sitting in a lounge chair last summer just enjoying the sun. Looked down and saw this pretty much on top of the dirt. Can anyone tell me anything about it? This is in Raeford North Carolina. New housing development, as far as I know from satellite maps (metal detecting :) )this neighborhood was a field since the 1950s.

4B4F5B4B-CABD-4DF4-958B-D434A8A497F4.jpeg 0170926C-9A2B-4508-ABCC-5667FD3A7A67.jpeg 42EDE4D0-E2D7-4474-828C-E5719DE9A6C1.jpeg BD846448-3DB9-4456-B168-0508B4496687.jpeg

Upvote 0

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice one! looks like it was reworked several times until it was just a nublin

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice one!! Looks like a halfted scraper or worn down knife, or combination of the two now, to me.

Last edited:

GoExplore

Feb 27, 2019
Southwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, so not an arrowhead?

The artifact that you found is definitely a native American-made knife or scraper. The term "arrowhead" is misused many times. The only true arrowheads were very small and attached or "hafted" to an arrow shaft. Many times you will find a native American artifact that is larger than an arrowhead and was used as a blade or other tool (even though it was the same triangular shape of an true arrowhead). I'm no expert, but true arrowheads were never much larger than the circumference of a nickel.

Awesome find. Go looking around the same place some more and let us know what you find!

OP
OP
K

Killakels

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2020
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The artifact that you found is definitely a native American-made knife or scraper. The term "arrowhead" is misused many times. The only true arrowheads were very small and attached or "hafted" to an arrow shaft. Many times you will find a native American artifact that is larger than an arrowhead and was used as a blade or other tool (even though it was the same triangular shape of an true arrowhead). I'm no expert, but true arrowheads were never much larger than the circumference of a nickel.

Awesome find. Go looking around the same place some more and let us know what you find!

Just popped outside to look at that same spot, found a tiny chip that looks like the same material. My yard is extremely sandy and this color rock is unusual so I wonder if this was once attached. F21835E0-22C7-4AF5-BE9A-7F39F78FC34E.jpeg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Where there is one, there are more. I would walk every bare spot that you see. Any creeks nearby? I'd hit that too.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You certainly have an artifact--a quartz piece I believe. It appears to be corner-notched (to facilitate hafting)--a knife that has morphed into a different tool or just plain broken. Nothing was wasted and was repaired until the piece was exhausted (i.e. useless for anything else). Congrats. And yes that little chip looks like the same material.

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to agree with Tdog. I can't make out the size, but it appears to be a possible restored white Quartz Projectile Point. An ancient break on the right side notch, shoulder and the basal ear area was clearly refinished. It looks a lot like a Jack's Reef Notched Point (which would type it as a true arrowhead). Of course, this is speculation only. There are similar notched points from different stone age periods found in your region that would also fit very well.

There is no way to tell if the tip break is old or recent. The fact that you found a fragment, could mean the lost tip is close by as well.

Jacks Reef Corner Notch Projectile Point

NC Modified.jpg

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OP
OP
K

Killakels

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2020
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with Tdog. I can't make out the size, but it appears to be a possible restored white Quartz Projectile Point. An ancient break on the right side notch, shoulder and the basal ear area was clearly refinished. It looks a lot like a Jack's Reef Notched Point (which would type it as a true arrowhead). Of course, this is speculation only. There are similar notched points from different stone age periods found in your region that would also fit very well.

There is no way to tell if the tip break is old or recent. The fact that you found a fragment, could mean the lost tip is close by as well.

Jacks Reef Corner Notch Projectile Point

View attachment 1787773

That is so cool thank you!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, it’s just my opinion.
If you can, please put something next to the point for size contrast and another photo showing the break at the tip.
Please and thank you!

OP
OP
K

Killakels

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2020
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804721.966351.jpg this is a pack of tissues [emoji23] sorry for the delay I forgot to check back in!

OP
OP
K

Killakels

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2020
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also my friend plowed his field and found this 15 minutes away. The lines are inches ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804847.165150.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583804866.916804.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread