Found at 1867 Permission; Watch Fob from Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo of 1909!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

As the calendar turned my old spots dried up. I was in search of new sites today. Unfortunately, there aren’t many super old houses (older than 1920) in my area so I drove 40 mins to another town. I know there are a lot of 1800s houses there.

Well, first house I scope out is from 1889. The owners were super friendly and interested and told me to give their yard a go. It was pretty slow, only a couple wheats to show for a couple hours of work so I moved across the street.

Those folks were also super accommodating. Their house is from 1867. That doesn’t sound old to some of you, but that is mind bogglingly old for these parts.

I hadn’t found much there either. Just a wheat but I got a decent signal at five inches. When I first pulled the little pieces out, I figured it was some kind of relic spill but didn’t know exactly what it was. I suspected it might be part of a fob but it was Mike/Exhoplex that helped confirm that suspicion.

Well, I saw William H. Seward on it and thought it might date all the way back to Lincoln’s administration. After some clean up at home though, I found “Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo” on the back of the top piece. What’s so cool about that is I just listened to a 40 minute podcast this morning about the Expo and was thinking it’d be neat to find a relic from the event sometime. Well, here I am a few hours later holding one!! The Expo was held in 1909 at my alma mater, the University of Washington and was part of the grand opening of their campus on Lake Washington (it was formerly downtown).

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546651038.127470.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546651048.427006.jpg

Here’s a link to a clean copy of the fob; https://www.rubylane.com/item/700271-lgv6031/Antique-1909-Alaska-Yukon-Pacific-Ex78po.

My main goal today was to try to find a seated coin. Didn’t happen so I’ll keep after it. Probably won’t be able to get back to that town until late next week unfortunately.

Good luck out there and happy hunting!
-W

Upvote 12

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freaky coincidence. Real nice find! Congrats

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great relic. Are all the pieces there? Have you found another example online? Really nice dig on that one
never mind I see your link to a clean one

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
What a great relic. Are all the pieces there? Have you found another example online? Really nice dig on that one

Thanks Highnam, yep! This is the complete fob. The chain deteriorated but the 3 main components are all accounted for.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
More history: http://historylink.org/File/8195

William Seward was honored at the Expo because he was so instrumental in purchasing Alaska. They unveiled a statue of him at the event and there is a famous park in Seattle named after Seward as well.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is freakin cool nice find wowza

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread