Found at a garage sale but can’t find anything on them

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
Hello, today me and my girlfriend were garage sailing and came across these bottles. I am trying to find out who made them, how old they are and a value. The gentleman who sold them to is said that they were his grandfathers. The guy who sold them had to be at least 65 so I assume that the bottles have some age? He mentioned that his grandfather was in WW1 but as you can see the toppers say Pittsburgh airport souvenir so I am very confused. Maybe the toppers don’t go with the bottles? Thank you for your help in advance ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561768602.019723.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561768616.314835.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me the ceramic stopper's are similar to what you would see on those vintage carnival cane's from the 1930s, 40s & 50s I believe they came from?. I think those came from Japan and possibly they made those ceramic heads into bottle stoppers as another way to market them?. I did see one that was made into a lamp finial just looking around online. As for value, it's something you might find a vintage barware collector would like to have in their collection. If I was to guess what I could get out of them on eBay it would be 10 bucks each or 40 for the set, but some things like that just might blow you away in what someone would pay and give more than $200 out of them all. Also being they're a Pittsburgh airport souvenirs they might have a cross collectability and someone who wants everything in the way of vintage commercial aviation memorabilia to add to a collection might also see those as unique. ??

Attachments

• img00007049-crop-c0-5__0-5-676x380.jpg
    img00007049-crop-c0-5__0-5-676x380.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool bottles, the bottles at some time in their past had screw caps . I do not believe they are all that old 50s ,60s , 70s ???

OP
OP

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
Cool bottles, the bottles at some time in their past had screw caps . I do not believe they are all that old 50s ,60s , 70s ???

After reading all of your guys comments I agree that the toppers were added and not original to the bottles. I can’t find any info on the bottles at all but I agree with another’s reply that they look like carnival cane toppers. These have holes in the mouth which lead me to believe that they were drilled after the fact and made to pour the liquor?

OP
OP

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
To me the ceramic stopper's are similar to what you would see on those vintage carnival cane's from the 1930s, 40s & 50s I believe they came from?. I think those came from Japan and possibly they made those ceramic heads into bottle stoppers as another way to market them?. I did see one that was made into a lamp finial just looking around online. As for value, it's something you might find a vintage barware collector would like to have in their collection. If I was to guess what I could get out of them on eBay it would be 10 bucks each or 40 for the set, but some things like that just might blow you away in what someone would pay and give more than $200 out of them all. Also being they're a Pittsburgh airport souvenirs they might have a cross collectability and someone who wants everything in the way of vintage commercial aviation memorabilia to add to a collection might also see those as unique. ??

You are correct on the carnival cane toppers I compared some from eBay and noticed the same stamp on the bottom and shape. It appears that the gentleman’s grandfather added the cork to fit the bottles and even drilled a hole in the mouths maybe thinking it would pour? So now I need to find out who made the bottles. They say “Joy Juice” but I don’t see any alcohol bottles when I search just sodas.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kickapoo Joy Juice was an invention of Al Capp in his Lil' Abner comic strip. I think whoever designed the graphics for those bottles got the idea for the name from there. There was an actual Kickapoo medicine company that made patent medicines which is where Al Capp got the idea for naming his cartoon moonshine.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a topper like that in a bottle dump cool

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct on the carnival cane toppers I compared some from eBay and noticed the same stamp on the bottom and shape. It appears that the gentleman’s grandfather added the cork to fit the bottles and even drilled a hole in the mouths maybe thinking it would pour? So now I need to find out who made the bottles. They say “Joy Juice” but I don’t see any alcohol bottles when I search just sodas.

I am trying to find out who made them, how old they are and a value. The gentleman who sold them to is said that they were his grandfathers. The guy who sold them had to be at least 65 so I assume that the bottles have some age? He mentioned that his grandfather was in WW1 but as you can see the toppers say Pittsburgh airport souvenir so I am very confused.

haility

May 30, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to find out who made them, how old they are and a value. The gentleman who sold them to is said that they were his grandfathers. The guy who sold them had to be at least 65 so I assume that the bottles filezilla uc browser rufus have some age? He mentioned that his grandfather was in WW1 but as you can see the toppers say Pittsburgh airport souvenir so I am very confused.
a hole in the mouths maybe thinking it would pour? So now I need to find out who made the bottles. They say “Joy Juice” but I don’t see any alcohol bottles when I search just sodas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread