Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for any information on type and age. He says the point is about 1/2 inch in length. I think the triangular piece might be a scraper.
11230.jpeg
11229.jpeg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No ideas here on the point type or rock
They come from an area that was historically used by the Shoshone and Paiute tribes. Most points from there are obsidian. I've personally never seen one this color or shape.

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If found in IL that would be a Cahokia arrowpoint. Made from approx 800-1400. Out west where you are, that style is called a Desert Side Notch and was made from 800-1800.
Thanks. I'll let him know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It ALWAYS helps to give members as much info as possible, size, or size reference, where it was found, state and area of state.

It looks like a bird point, also called gem point and it looks like a Toyah.

The triangle rock looks like it has a recessed center, does it?

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It ALWAYS helps to give members as much info as possible, size, or size reference, where it was found, state and area of state.

It looks like a bird point, also called gem point and it looks like a Toyah.

The triangle rock looks like it has a recessed center, does it?
Since they weren't found by me and I haven't personally seen them, I'm just going by what he told me and he only said the pointis about 1/2 inch in length. I'm pretty sure the point is of the Desert Sierra variety as another member said. The stone does have a depression in it. My friend described it as a "thumb groove". I'm not an expert on native artifacts, but it looks like a tool to me.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone does have a depression in it. My friend described it as a "thumb groove". I'm not an expert on native artifacts, but it looks like a tool to me.
It looks like a “worry stone” to me. Common in tourist gift shops. I don’t know if that one is an artifact or not.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they weren't found by me and I haven't personally seen them, I'm just going by what he told me and he only said the pointis about 1/2 inch in length. I'm pretty sure the point is of the Desert Sierra variety as another member said. The stone does have a depression in it. My friend described it as a "thumb groove". I'm not an expert on native artifacts
1000005322.jpg
, but it looks like a tool to me.
I would certainly keep it as there is 50/50 chance or higher it is something, would need to see in person, but it looks used. Take long time to get that dimple there by usage.

Here is one I found and kept.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread