Found couple a ww1 dogtag and what I think is 2 fired civil war bullets

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't find these today but didn't get a chance to post yesterday. If there is a yesterdays finds please have an administrator move it there. :)

Alright, super pumped about my one of my finds yesterday. Dad and I went back to one of his old metal detecting sites from 25 years ago. We got 3 civil war bullets between the b2 of us but the ww1 dogtag is what I'm pumped about. Probably not that rare but I found it and would rather find relics like this than silver or gold any day. Well maybe not gold?

Hope ya'll enjoy and everyone gets a chance to go out this weekend and find sometime.

Attachments

• DSCN3132.JPG
    DSCN3132.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCN3133.JPG
    DSCN3133.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 4
OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to ask. The short bullet confuses me that why in the heading about a question mark about whether that one is a fired civil war bullet.

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a image of a ww1 dogtag since mine is hard to make out.

Attachments

• ww1 dogtag pic.jpg
    ww1 dogtag pic.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 251

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool dog tag. Can you make out the name? I could read the U.S.A. part.

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can make out some letter but I want to be careful about cleaning it. I just used soap and water so if anyone knows a better method without causing damage that would be helpful.

Thanks for the comment el remolino.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Chapp12 wrote:
> Forgot to ask. The short bullet confuses me that's why in the heading about a question mark
> about whether that one is a fired civil war bullet.

Because you've asked, and nobody else has answered:
I'm sorry to have to say, both of your fired bullets are shotgun slugs from sometime in the late-1800s through the 1900s. Those are distinguished by being quite short in comparison to their width AND having extremely thick walls base-cavity walls.

I should mention, although your two post-civil-war shotgun slugs do somewhat resemble a civil war British-made .69-caliber Tower minie, it is a longer-bodied bullet (.965-to-1.030-inch) and its "plug-type" base-cavity is a lot deeper than the shallow one seen in your shotgun slugs.

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CannonballGuy for your insight into those 2 bullets. I had my suspicions on the short one.

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mack the number looks like 75i797 but not sure.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I am seeing the first name of "William" and the last name similar to "Coffley" and "USA" on the front of the tag. The numbers on the rear are close to what you listed above. Mackaydon's suggestion to gently clean it, ID it, and find a living relative will put you in "Honorable Mention" in my book! Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

OP
OP
C

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking up the numbers guys. Sub, that looks to be really close on the name. I will get in touch with the home owner and I will let you know if I figure anything out. Would be great to return this to some living relatives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread