shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
CRUSADER said:
Have you checked out Google Earth yet?

thanks for the tip crusader! i looked last night and i could make out a faint straight line going diagonally accross one field.
it could be an old footpath or where the farmer drives his tractor accross :icon_scratch:

thanks for all the good lucks everyone!
it started raining on my way home from work but as soon as it brightens up im off ;D

shaun

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
i spent 8 hours in one field yesterday, while i was there the farmer was rolling one of the larger fields which i tried on the way out. it was like walking on carpet, ill stick to that one untill the others are done!
as for finds, it was dissapointing lots of large iron,small nails,very old large nails,two horse shoes and an old broken end of a pitch fork. the only nice thing in that first field was a brass button with someones initials on it in old style writing.

there was an area in which i found four peices of lead, thats where i got the button but i was too exhausted to carry on!
thats also where all the old nails were.

on the way back down to the road i was just quickly walking down the side of the freshly rolled field and got a large musket ball!

only coin was a modern twenty pence piece but i'll keep trying.

shaun

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
i spent 8 hours in one field yesterday, while i was there the farmer was rolling one of the larger fields which i tried on the way out. it was like walking on carpet, ill stick to that one untill the others are done!
as for finds, it was dissapointing lots of large iron,small nails,very old large nails,two horse shoes and an old broken end of a pitch fork. the only nice thing in that first field was a brass button with someones initials on it in old style writing.

there was an area in which i found four peices of lead, thats where i got the button but i was too exhausted to carry on!
thats also where all the old nails were.

on the way back down to the road i was just quickly walking down the side of the freshly rolled field and got a large musket ball!

only coin was a modern twenty pence piece but i'll keep trying.

shaun

Even if it takes time. Stick to the lead areas & do it systematically.

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
thanks crusader

i know its probably a silly question but what does the lead mean?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
thanks crusader

i know its probably a silly question but what does the lead mean?

:D :DLead (the metal)

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
sorry :icon_scratch:
i meant what is the significance of the lead??

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:

As lead has a low melting point, people have used it since the Iron Age (& before) for all sorts of things & you didn't need to be a metal worker to use it. They mended clay pots with it & all sorts. Therefore a site that has been in constant use (even if this is only farming) will have plenty of melted lead pieces. The whiter it is the older (generally speaking). In my experience, our best sites have the most lead & quite a bit of iron as well.

KEEP ALL LEAD - ITS WORTH MONEY. (stick it in a bucket & when you can't lift it, then go & recycle it, its worth a mint!)

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

As lead has a low melting point, people have used it since the Iron Age (& before) for all sorts of things & you didn't need to be a metal worker to use it. They mended clay pots with it & all sorts. Therefore a site that has been in constant use (even if this is only farming) will have plenty of melted lead pieces. The whiter it is the older (generally speaking). In my experience, our best sites have the most lead & quite a bit of iron as well.

KEEP ALL LEAD - ITS WORTH MONEY. (stick it in a bucket & when you can't lift it, then go & recycle it, its worth a mint!)

well i think that might have answered one question i had about one piece of lead!
on one side it looks like an bent coin but the other side looks like the underneath of a flower.
i did think it was made to cap a screw but the plug on the bottom is too large. perhaps this could have been used to plug a hole!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions