Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch, a professional button dude on this forum, will chime in very soon. :wink:

The green stuff is called patina.

Kyle

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll really need to see a pic of the button to determine if it can be cleaned (restored).

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would brush it with a soft toothbrush, no water.

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will post the picture this evening I just did not have time last night.

Thanks

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not use water? it has been getting wet for all these years in the ground??

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:

Yes but it retains the patina in the ground. Rinsing once out of the ground can be a very different story. Anytime you see a relic that has a green patina, but some brown spots often times it was from being run under the water and some of the color washing away. You can lose a lot of detail on some finds... usually the older stuff.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Goes4ever said:

Yes but it retains the patina in the ground. Rinsing once out of the ground can be a very different story. Anytime you see a relic that has a green patina, but some brown spots often times it was from being run under the water and some of the color washing away. You can lose a lot of detail on some finds... usually the older stuff.

EXACTLY. Water is bad news in some cases--and water + toothbrushing = a find that will look worse than it did when it was freshly dug!

Only a DRY toothbrush on a DRY find with a two-piece button with raised design--unless there is gold gilding. In that case, use Aluminum Jelly.

The backmark I'd use my "toothpicking" method listed here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

It keeps patina in the grooves so that there is contrast and the backmark can be read.

BUT--before you try any method--including Water!--we need to see a photo.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
Goes4ever said:

EXACTLY. Water is bad news in some cases--and water + toothbrushing = a find that will look worse than it did when it was freshly dug!

Only a DRY toothbrush on a DRY find with a two-piece button with raised design--unless there is gold gilding. In that case, use Aluminum Jelly.

The backmark I'd use my "toothpicking" method listed here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

It keeps patina in the grooves so that there is contrast and the backmark can be read.

BUT--before you try any method--including Water!--we need to see a photo.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Sometimes pictures are better than words. This early musket escutcheon should have never seen a drop of water. It was a mistake because it took me a while to 'acquire a taste for patina', and also took some time to learn what the heck I was doing... so i don't feel too bad about it. Any nice green old item that resembles this (or how it should have been) clean it dry!

The funny thing is most people that read this will still get home the next time and drop everything in the water. :D

Attachments

• me1.jpg
    me1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 337

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
The funny thing is most people that read this will still get home the next time and drop everything in the water.  :D

I'd think it's sad rather than funny.

It's taken me a decade and a half to devise cleaning methods that work best--with the relic's preservation in mind, as well as my desire to have the most attractive display items possible.

Oh well...  If I had a dollar for every unreadable backmark, field-cleaned coin, or over-cleaned valuable relic... I could quit my job and only MD. 

-Buckles

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Found first eagle button how to clean it Pictures added !!

Ok here are some picture along with what else I found this weekend

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• DSCF0115.JPG
    DSCF0115.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF0114.JPG
    DSCF0114.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCF0120.JPG
    DSCF0120.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF0122.JPG
    DSCF0122.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 331
  • DSCF0124.JPG
    DSCF0124.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 324

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with the artillery stuff! Bad things have happened.

B

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...You're worried about a crusty old button when you have that heavy artillary??? Not to mention that super cool spur rowel...

R

RUDY2003

Thats some pretty cool CW diggins' bud!!!
Super job on the recoveries....

Keep safe...

Keith

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone it was a good weekend hope to hit it hard over the long weekend coming up.

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy Crap Man!!!! Do you know what you have there??? You dug some nice artillery shells! The large one looks like a Parrot/Reed shell. Do not I mean DO NOT let the authorities see them as the trend these days is that they are too stupid to know any better and they will have the bomb squad dispose of them. There are still a few CW relic guys who will disarm them for you. In the mean time let them be and dont throw them in a fire or take a grinder to them. That would be bad! As far as the button goes I dont think there is much you can do to help it. There is alot of corrosion and it may very well fall apart if you try cleaning it any more. You had a great dig. Congrats!!!

Marc

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
baspinall said:
Be careful with the artillery stuff! Bad things have happened.

B
Ok. So this is going to sound like a stupid question but I don't know - hence, I'll ask. How dangerous are these old shells? They loaded with powder? How would one know upon finding one if it is "armed" or "unarmed"? I came across a cannonball a few years back in Virginia that a buddy pulled up in his crab dredge (northern Chesapeake Bay). It had a hole in one side and was close to the same size as what's pictured above on the roll of tape. It now sits on a shelf in his living room. Is finding one that has been submerged any different than finding one on land? Years ago I worked on a clam dredge off the east coast and we used to pull up all sorts of crazy stuff. Used to find old grenades by the dozen. Had to call the Navy or Coast Guard to come get 'em when we came back to the docks. Apparently, they are more unstable after sitting in the Atlantic for a bunch of years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread