found "Ford" token/any ideas?

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
found "Ford" token/any ideas?

Sorry I don't have a digital camera to show it, but today I found a "token" that registered as silver, though has some oxidation damage that leads me to believe it's not pure or perhaps not silver at all. It's about the size of a silver dollar and one side says "Onward with Ford in 1937" around the edge and "1,000,000" (could it be cars sold?) and "by September" and some other writing that's hard to read. On the other side it says "V8" with the V and 8 over each other. To the left it has "60" and the right it has "85". I did a little research online today and found reference to "Onward with Ford" as the name of a 1937 manual, so perhaps it was a slogan of the company at that time. Turns out the adjacent property owner was a longtime Ford dealership owner...

Upvote 0
R

Richard

Re: found "Ford" token/any ideas?

I don't think I can shed any light on your token but the V over 8 was an early Ford badge maybe in the early thirties. The 60 is a reference to the V8 60 an early Ford V-8. And along this same line the 85 maybe a reference to the 85 H.P that it produced. Doesn't tell much about the token but there you go....

Richard

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Thank you both for the feedback. A little more cleaning revealed the back says "1,300,000 in 1937
1,000,000 1937 V8 sales by September"

I appreciate the help and learned a little more about cars from your posts.

A

abird

i found one of those also its bronze, and i remember reading they gave them away at the worlds fair

G

Gold Digg3r

Yes, I found one of those too but i think it was a commemoritive cause it had all the fords silowettes on it and their names somthing like 1950 on it too, this might be kind of an old post but i hope u receive it. gl HH! :)
Gold Digg3r

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread